Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1979 Sears 5 hp scraper blade question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
augsburg

1979 Sears 5 hp scraper blade question
Original Message   Feb 1, 2009 12:27 am
I am having a problem with my older Sears snowblower. It has "gage wheels" to adjust the space between the ground and the scraper blade (no skid shoes) . There is more of a gap on one side than the other even when both of the guides are removed. Could the housing near the impeller be misalligned?    Thanks!
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
augsburg

Re: 1979 Sears 5 hp scraper blade question
Reply #2   Feb 1, 2009 9:28 pm
The scraper blade is fixed (riveted). Any ideas?
Bill_H

Reply #3   Feb 3, 2009 6:22 pm
Have a model # or picture of it?

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
augsburg

Reply #4   Feb 4, 2009 2:28 pm
It's model no. 536.909400....the pictures are on http://newjersey.craigslist.org/grd/1004746973.html

Thanks
Bill_H

Reply #5   Feb 4, 2009 10:47 pm
If I am reading you correctly, one side of the auger housing is up off the ground and the other is sitting on the ground. The rest of the machine is level side-to-side but not the housing.  If that's the case, this looks relatively simple, what with the auger housing being in parts that are bolted and not welded together. I wish they still did them like that.

1. Make sure the machine is on a flat and level surface.
2. Remove the little wheels on the side of the auger housing (or adjust them up off the ground).
3. Check both wheels to make sure they're flat on the ground and that the housing where the motor is mounted is level. If not, this could be your problem. (tires round and even?)
4. Loosen the bolts holding the auger housing to the rest of the machine, see if there's enough play to adjust it and then retighten.
5. If not, loosen the side plates of the auger housing and twist it into position, then retighten them. Might be easier said than done.
6. If all else fails, you may have to rotate the auger housing and drill new holes to bolt it. Can't see how this would be necessary unless it was made crooked.

Keep your eyes open as you do this, you may see something that I can't see (the diagram on Sears' site is very poor) that will help - such as something bent or twisted.

Let us know how you make out.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42