Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens snow defector cable freezing ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ajc165

Ariens snow defector cable freezing ?
Original Message   Feb 1, 2009 3:30 pm
my ariens dl 11/30 chute deflector cables keeps freezing up,,i read about greasing the cable here ...is it possilbe that i stretched the cable when it was frozen,,?the cable will pull the chute in the down position but it doesn't spring back up nearly as quick. i'm thinking of getting a new cable ,,any suggestions appreciated,,,also how does the cable release from the chute?
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Re: Ariens snow defector cable freezing ?
Reply #1   Feb 1, 2009 4:16 pm
Hello;

I have Ariens 1130DLE and last season had the same problem. So this year before the snow came I tried something out which thus far seems to be working.  You can read it with pictures at the following link

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/31909-0-1.html

Problem now is once the water is in there its very hard to get it working just right again.  You have to get the water out from there in order for it to work properly again.  I cannot see you stretching the wire, its branded steel and not likely to stretch without some major muscle or tool.   The best solution for you would be to take the cable off, not that much work and bring it inside. Hang it up somewhere and let it throughly dry out.  They put some grease in it.  Last year a temp fix for me was to get some anitfreeze and use a syringe to pump it down the cable from under the control panel.  Do not bend the cable as it will crack in the cold and if it has done that tape it up or it will also freeze with water leaking in.  The problem is that water is getting in the ends of the cable as the sheilds are not very good.

I aways tend to keep my deflector all the way down when storing it, I find it much easier to get the chute to come up rather then trying to get the frozen cable to much the chute down.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
ajc165

Reply #2   Feb 1, 2009 5:13 pm
thanks  i need to get the cable off the machine....to dry it out....how does the cable detach from the chute? there is a plastic tip on the end of the cable that i can't remove.
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #3   Feb 2, 2009 11:07 am
Haha.. I hear ya.  I was worried about that clip at first as well, afraid I would break it trying to get the cable out. However I have had the cable off a few times now. You just need something to poke in the sides so that you can slide the clip down and take the cable off.  I used a flat head screwdriver and when I got once side down I did the other.  Not much to it once you do it once.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42