Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > *PLEASE HELP* Might have permanently screwed up snow blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sahota123

*PLEASE HELP* Might have permanently screwed up snow blower
Original Message   Jan 28, 2009 10:41 pm
Hi guys i'm new to the forum and am looking for some help on what i should do...

I accidently poured gas into the engine oil cylindar on my snow blower, i started the snow blower up and the engine started but didnt move and a pool of gas leaked from the bottom after. Is it permanently destroyed or is this fixable? The engine stil starts just it wont move.

Thanks in advanced guys
Replies: 4 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
sahota123

Re: *PLEASE HELP* Might have permanently screwed up snow blower
Reply #4   Jan 29, 2009 12:44 pm
thanks for the help guys i will check out my snow blower and see if it has a drainage system to empty out the contaminated oil...again thanks for the help all!
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #5   Jan 31, 2009 2:42 pm
You may want to put your snowblower in service mode and take the bottom pan off and loose and the friction disc and plate. If gas/oil leaked out the bottom there is a fair chance some could be on those parts, if so it will make the disc slip and it won't move.  This is after you drain the oil as above instructions.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
nibbler

Reply #6   Feb 2, 2009 2:34 pm
Most engines have a drain hole near the bottom. It is normally plugged by a threaded bolt with a square head.

Since the oil is contaminated you want to:
  1. Drain the contaminated oil by removing the plug and hold a container under the hole to catch the oil/gas mixture;
  2. With the spark plug disconnected and the fuel turned off, pull the starter cord slowly so the engine turns over, catch the last of the contaminated oil;
  3. Replace the plug;
  4. Refill with the proper oil as specified by your owner's manual;
  5. If you want to be real careful drain and refill again.
Once you start the engine, try engaging the traction system ( wheels). If they don't move then the friction wheel is probably contaminated with oil and you will need to clean it.
  1. Put the blower into the service position ( up on the intake, looks like you are snow blowing to China);
  2. Remove the back plate between the wheels;
  3. You should see a rubber edged wheel that moves in and out when you engage the traction system clutch lever. It will also move left and right when you move the speed control. That is the friction wheel;
  4. When the traction clutch is engaged the friction wheel goes against a disk, this is the friction disk;
  5. Clean both the wheel and the disk so that they do not have any lubricant on them;
  6. Close up the back plate;
  7. Bring the unit down from the service position and test the traction system again.
What is supposed to happen is that the engine drives the friction disk so that it spins. The friction wheel contacts the disk when the traction clutch is engaged and starts to spin, making the wheels turn. The speed at which the friction wheel turns and its direction is dependant on where it contacts the disk. The closer to the rim the faster you go. If you move the wheel past the centre of the disk you are now going in reverse. The speed control is what controls the position of the wheel.

As an aside. If you are trying to put the engine bolts up through the traction housing while remounting the engine and the friction wheel is getting in the way, you can use the speed control to move it somewhat out of the way.
This message was modified Feb 2, 2009 by nibbler
Replies: 4 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42