Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Late 60's /early 70's Ariens snowblower assistance needed.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
planefixer

Late 60's /early 70's Ariens snowblower assistance needed.
Original Message   Jan 1, 2008 9:59 am
Hello,

I own an Old Ariens Snow blower with the 6H.P. Techumsa motor. 24" width. It has 4 forward speeds Neutral an Reverse. I still have the owners manual and paperwork from when it was new. Most of it has a copyright date of 1967.  I believe the model number is 910995.

I have 2 problems that I need asstiance with.

1) The Auger chute. When It is dry it turns from full left to full right with no problems. But once snow is present, It does not turn properly. It only goes fron center to right.It slips when turning left. It almost seems like the teeth are worn, but is "visually" looks fine.

2) The clutch. I am not able to squeeze the clutch lever to shift gears, It is solid and will not depress. I pulled the cover yesterday to take a look. But I did not spend any time on it, as I had to shovel some wet snow, before it froze. The clutch linkage is a steel rod, not a cable like newer models. The drive plate and wheel appear to be fine. are there any sites that have the service manuals online?

Happy new year. Thank you.

This message was modified Jan 1, 2008 by planefixer
Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
heartlandusa

Re: Late 60's /early 70's Ariens snowblower assistance needed.
Reply #5   Jan 19, 2009 1:18 pm
Hello,

I have a Ariens model # 910995 snow blower, the wheel axle bearings are shot. I need to know how to remove the axle to relpace the bearings. can you advise me on how to do this or where to download a manual?

Thanks

Tom

trouts2

Reply #6   Jan 19, 2009 2:14 pm

It looks like there are two different problems in the post. 

The 910002 and 910995 are 10,000 machines and covered in the same manual.

The manual:

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/PRM-10000.pdf

heartlandusa,

The wheelbearings cost about 2.00 online and easy to replace.  910995 is the snowblower attachment number of the intake housing assembly.  Sometimes they put that number on the lower back base of the tractor section which makes things confusing but I’ve seen it.  Regardless if you have a 910995 bucket then the chances are you have one of the 10,000 machines. 

For the 10,000 there are two types of axles I know of.  One is for differential and the other non-differential.  For non-differential the axle is one piece and held in with two roll-pins.  One on the right as you look into the back with the machine up in the air.  The other is by the support piece by the spur gear.  To get the wheels of pop the hub cover off and there will probably be a cotter pin there.  Remove that to slide out the tire and hub if they are not rust frozen on. 

For the differential type there is a roll pin on the differential mechanism at the left wheel as you look from the back.  With that out the left section of the differential will slide out.  Then you can remove the right section.

The bearings just get pushed out with taping.  You can use a big socket to put on the bearing to tap against. 

dawei, http://www.kedawei.com/snowblower.htm

trouts2

Reply #7   Jan 19, 2009 6:27 pm
Old Ariens 6 hp Snow Thrower Spur Gear Replacement

Search Abbys for the above post which has pictures and an explination of the axle.  It shows the bearing on the right side half out.  It's just pushed out.  The bearing for the diff and non-diff are different.  There's a note in the Ariens exploded view about the difference.

David http://www.kedawei.com/snowblower.htm

Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42