Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1130 SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

John Deere 1130 SE
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 1:07 pm
I did a search and found a few references to this machine but no answers.  Any one have one of these?  15.5 snow max engine, heated hand grips, 30" wide.  I can't find a listing for auger diameter or impeller diameter.  I called John Deere and the guy that was suppose to be the snow thrower expert didn't know either. 

What is the Easy Steer drive system?  The literature says: 

• Easy SteerŽ drive system giving continuous power to both wheels and auto speed adjustment
  • Is it similar to the Ariens auto differential? 

I've heard that the units are built by B&S which translates to Simplicity.  They do have cast iron gear cases like the Simplicity.  The chute control is different than the simplicity and so is the turning method so they are not exactly the same.  I'm trying to compare the Simplicity L1530E to the JD 1130SE.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Replies: 43 - 52 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    mondoe

Re: John Deere 1130 SE
    Reply #43   Jan 19, 2009 12:12 am
    Just bought my JD 1130 se today from lowes, here in n/e ohio its a hit or miss for snow fall here and lately its been a hit! After digging my car out that barely made it into the driveway last night I was off to home depot to check out some possible snow blowers. Arrived at the depot to find a cheesy little 2 stage unit for 999.00 and 3or so single stage units way overpriced. At this point was becoming content with the shovel situation, oh and by the way they had 2 stacker shelves loaded with all the lawn mowers one could imagine, MID January!?! Well after my subway sandwich decided to check out lowes not so far down the road. The very 1st thing I saw as I entered the store was a line of JD snow blowers ready to do some damage. Decided on the JD 1130 SE with the 20% off and an extra 10% if you get the lowes credit card for a total of 30% off 1499 my unit cost 1074 before tax fully assembled and out the door.

Now lets put my impulse purchase to the test. Got home and unloaded unit, adjusted guides, filled tank, figured out that the pin had to be installed to start and whalla! she fired up.had a good 8 to 10 Inches in driveway with some drifts over 2 feet. This thing ate up everything I could throw at it not a single hiccup, did occasionally rev lower under load as expected, also did several neigbours driveways and the unit worked flawlessly. Still getting used to it since ive never operated a snowblower before, been long overdue!

Is it just me or am I an old person now, the shovel was a nice work out but any more theres just not enough time in the day.. whats next ED??
    Santaclause

Reply #44   Jan 19, 2009 12:18 am
    no drive issues?reverse ocasionally not work or whatever?
    mml4

Snow is good,
    Deep snow is better!

Reply #45   Jan 19, 2009 5:47 am
    Sounds to me like JD is having the same kind of set up issues at Lowes that Ariens is having at Home Depot. With Snow Blowers it's all about the set up. If you can read and execute simple instructions it is a BIG advantage to take the machine home in the box and do the set up yourself. It's no more difficult than putting together most childrens toys.

Unfortunately set up at a big box store sometimes = molestation,

Marc

This message was modified Jan 19, 2009 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
    redsox

Reply #46   Jan 19, 2009 8:30 am
    Hello,

Let me say that a consumer should not have to put metal duct tape on a machine, but Lowes gave me 20% of for my problems final cost 1200.00 in New Hampshire. I also bought the John Deere cab for another 140.00. To the poster who said they bought a husky and is very happy with it good for you and good luck. But please do not compare the Husky to the Simplicity/John Deere. I will live with the tape. These machines are not apples to apples Cast Iron gear box JD Briggs Engine still in business. The JD has 1550 torq not sure about husky but I'M sure its not more. I do understand that many consumers would not be happy with tinkering with a new purchased product and should not have to but for 1200 its a steal. Another poster got it for under 1100 that is a real winner of a bargain. Just my thoughts anyone else think the JD is worth the extra work or am I crazy. I also own a Husky Lawn Tractor and am very happy with it but just does not seem to be as sturdy as JD.

Don

Clay

Reply #47   Jan 19, 2009 9:13 am
    mml4 wrote:
    Sounds to me like JD is having the same kind of set up issues at Lowes that Ariens is having at Home Depot. With Snow Blowers it's all about the set up. If you can read and execute simple instructions it is a BIG advantage to take the machine home in the box and do the set up yourself. It's no more difficult than putting together most childrens toys.

Unfortunately set up at a big box store sometimes = molestation,

Marc

In my area Lowes contracts out to the local John Deere dealership, who is sold out of snow throwers to do the final assembly on their snow throwers.  Not even close to Home Depot final assembly.  Problems can happen anywhere these days and some Home Depot guys can do a good job too, but I liked that the JD dealership put mine together.

Rick

Santaclause

Reply #48   Jan 19, 2009 10:28 am
    went out this am to use blower and started up wouldnt move gave cable a tug pulled tighter on it and still nothing finnaly acted like it was going to start to drive like it should what a machine looks like theres going to be a trip back to lowes with it ........What a bad purchace I made here never ever again from a big box store
    nibbler

Wet Friction Plate Shouldn't Be a Problem
    Reply #49   Jan 19, 2009 10:42 am
    I've been reading this thread off and on for some time and it seems that the manufacturers are missing the point.

Engaging rant mode, put on fire retardant eyeglasses.

Snow blowers work in wet, cold conditions, snow gets into everything and can melt. Repairs are sometimes done outside of a warm dry shop, it may even be blowing snow and/or sleet while a belt is changed. That is the nature of the environment that the machine must work in. Saying that the whole thing is dependant on a particular part staying dry is the equivalent of saying "we make trash". It simply must work in a cold wet environment, duct tape, adjusted plastic covers whatever are band aids that don't solve the root cause of the problem, the friction disk must work while wet end of story, full stop. If it can't be made to work then you come up with another, maintainable, robust solution.

End of rant.

I have used my machine with the cover off while adjusting the auger belt tension. I would "do a line of snow" to test it and then possibly readjust to get it "just right". I never had a problem with the traction drive just stopping. I have had to adjust the tension on the traction drive cable a few times over the years but so far I consider it normal wear and tear on a machine that regularly does multiple driveways and on occasion clears 1/2 metre snow an 75M of gravelled driveway.

One final comment. If the friction disk is turning at any reasonable rate I would expect any water to fly off due to centripetal force.
    mml4

Snow is good,
    Deep snow is better!

Reply #50   Jan 19, 2009 11:13 am
    Clay wrote:
    In my area Lowes contracts out to the local John Deere dealership, who is sold out of snow throwers to do the final assembly on their snow throwers.  Not even close to Home Depot final assembly.  Problems can happen anywhere these days and some Home Depot guys can do a good job too, but I liked that the JD dealership put mine together.

Rick

Rick- Can we agree that all the outlets are not the same? None of the Home Depot or Lowes outlets in my area send anything out for setup. In addition the local shops (those that are left) had to be forced to do  warranty work by the manufacturers for box store bought machines. The best and most successful shop gave up its Ariens Dealership as a result of the 2 stage units being sold in Home Depot. They now sell only Toro. They make a point of telling Ariens repair customers to take it back to Home Depot. 

While I agree that you can get a properly prepared machine from the big box stores I also know the # of returned units on display as "reconditioned" speaks volumes about how these units are set up. My point is that no matter where you buy a blower you are better served by setting it up yourself for the reason you will be more familiar with the machine. All of them are going to need adjustments and what better way to prepare for that event then setting up the machine from new. By the way I am not especially fond of small dealership set up either. For the most part they flip up the handle bars, connect the linkages, oil level,start her up and try the auger and drive. They don't have the time to take off the belt cover and check all the clearances and linkage adjustments etc. I don't blame them because they can't make a living spending 2 hours setting up each and every machine.

Setting up a machine when new is important and certainly not rocket science which is why I advocate doing it yourself.

Marc

This message was modified Jan 19, 2009 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
    Clay

Reply #51   Jan 19, 2009 11:45 am
    I've been on the phone for a while today with this issue.  I've called Lowes, John Deere Corporate, John Deere Customer service and talked to the local John Deere dealer who does the service on these units.

First things first - MONEY.  These units are on sale locally at Lowes today for 10% off and they have another 10% off with a credit card purchase.  They told me since I bought my unit on the 7th that the would give me the sale price.  An extra 20% off is a good thing - yeah.

I like my unit.  If anyone has read any of my posting, I'm not shy about returning snow throwers, this is my third unit this year - ha.  I'm not ready to return this unit yet.

John Deere corporate is closed because of Martin Luther King day.  Customer service is open.  I actually had the customer service rep on the phone and on this web site at the same time.  I even told Kelly that it would be wonderful to hear from a John Deere employee on this thread.  Don't know if anyone will respond, corporate lawyers get their panties in a bundle these days over something like that (my words not the JD reps comments).  Kelly is taking the information from this site up the ladder and said that she would call me back today.  When I get some feedback from her, I will post it.

Talked to the local JD dealer service manager.  Brian said that he looked up the technical information that is posted on the JD dealer network for the 1130 SE.  The only bulletin that is out on the drive unit is that some units had grease on the friction disk and the metal disk that the friction disk makes contact with.  He said the service bulletin says to remove it with brake cleaning fluid.  I specifiically asked about replacing the friction disk because of a problem with the rubber from which it was made and he said there is nothing about that in the service bulletin section.  I then asked about a new cover for the engine and he also said there is nothing about that on the JD service bulletin either. 

I will call B&S and ask about a new engine cover.  That might be something that is a B&S issue and not on the JD service bulletins.  Two more points, one is when I have dealt with automotive mechanics and searching for service bulletins.  Some times the information is out, but the service rep either doesn't do the search in the same way in which it was entered or can't find the information that is available.   Some companies make it difficult to find this stuff.  The service manager said that he would look at the unit for me and it would be about a day and a half turn around time.  Now that is what I think is damn good service.  Remember Sears said 21 days minimun at one point this year and I don't know what it is now. 

I'm still digging, BUT I for one, am not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  At least not yet.  I might get there,

I'll post back soon.

Rick

redsox

Reply #52   Jan 19, 2009 3:14 pm
    Rick,

Excellent post, I am frustrated, but Lowes took 20% off my cost is now 1200.00. Cast iron gearbox 15.50 torque the machine is built like a tank and is covered under warranty. I still think its the best bang for the buck out there. I for one will be very interested on your upcoming post you seem like a person that is a doer and is going to get to the root of the problem with solutions thanks for your help.

Don

Replies: 43 - 52 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42