Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow throwing techniques

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

Snow throwing techniques
Original Message   Jan 13, 2009 1:34 pm
I know most of the time that we discuss specs of one unit vs another unit.  I wanted to start a thread about the actual use fo the various machines.  How  to use them effectively.  I thought that we could all put some tips together on the application of removing snow quickly and efficiently.  Many of these tips will be common sense but I am amazed at how many people really fight their machine and do things in a way that seems to add time not save it.  I'll start and ask you to chime in with ideas that you have found work well for you.

Start on the windward side of your property so that when you throw snow it will drift onto the parts of your property that have not been done yet.  I see many people trying to blow snow into the wind.  Use the wind to your advantage.

Make the longest forward path that you can.  The less that you turn or have to pull the unit backwards or put in reverse the quicker that you will get done. 

Again, curious as to what are some of the time saving tecniques that you use when doing your property.  If you are a pro and do snow removal as a business I am sure that you have developed many techniques to speed up the process.

Another one for me was that I use to clear the path around the mail box first, only to throw snow back into the street from the side walk and then have to go do infront of the mail box again.  Now I try to do the remove where I won't have to go over an area twice. 

Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
snowstorm

Re: Snow throwing techniques
Reply #5   Jan 18, 2009 9:36 pm

At the End-of-Driveway, the snow is always packed and is sometimes higher and the housing height which is 24”.

To attack this amount packed snow, I use two techniques:

When the machine does not move forward anymore because the sides of the housing are blocked by the packed snow,

I start to move the snow blower left & right using the handles; this maneuver cuts the snow with the side of the housing,

and this is enough to advance one or two inches to help the serrated auger make its job.

When the engine starts to slow down, I release the traction while keeping the auger engaged until no more show comes out of the chutes.

I then engage the traction until the engine slows down again. I will repeat this has often as necessary to get through the EOD snow bank.

Hope this helps.

This message was modified Jan 18, 2009 by a moderator

/Snow Storm
aa335

Reply #6   Jan 24, 2009 3:37 pm
For the EOD (End of Driveway) pile, around mailbox, or curb side, snow blow those first or at least in the middle of your snowblowing session.  The snow here is usually is the dirtiest with dirt, sand, and salt compiled by the snowplow.  Afterwards, blow snow from the sidewalk or driveway which is cleaner to flush out the auger, impeller, bucket, and chute.  This way, you're not bringing the snowblower with dirty snow to melt in your garage.  

Brush off as much snow as you can before putting the snowblower away. 

Park the snowblower with the bucket off the ground if possible.  This allows the melted snow to drain out of the impeller housing and prevent rust spots between the scraper bar/skid shoes and the ground.

This message was modified Jan 24, 2009 by aa335
jack

Reply #7   Nov 28, 2009 2:34 pm
very good tip double aa about having the bucket off the ground to prevent rust  thank you
Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42