Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why would carb cleaner be bad?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
GaryBy

Why would carb cleaner be bad?
Original Message   Dec 25, 2008 11:43 am
The instructions for my current generator, as well as newer ones that I'm researching (B&S engines), all say "NEVER use engine or carburetor cleaner products in the fuel tank or permanent damage may occur".  Why would this be?

I'd planned to switch to SeaFoam instead of Sta-bil based on other threads in this forum.  Usually I put the additive directly in the can when I get back from the gas station.  But now I'm afraid of what would happen if I prep a can with SeaFoam, and then I'm forced to use it in the generator instead of the snowblower. 

Many thanks,
Gary
Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
GaryBy

Re: Why would carb cleaner be bad?
Reply #2   Jan 16, 2009 7:54 pm
I decided to ask this question of B&S, and got an answer back.  The answer is that the carb cleaner tends to dry out the gaskets. 

I find it interesting that they have this advice in the manual for the engine on my current generator (a ten year old Generac), but not in the manuals for the engines on their own current line of generators.
Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42