Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 928E Easy to turn or not?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ettidura

John Deere 928E Easy to turn or not?
Original Message   Jan 3, 2009 10:20 pm
Buying a John Deere 928E, but I am concerned that it won't be easy to turn. On their website it states "Knob style wheel differential system", what exactly is that? Their other higher end models have "Easy Steer" and "Quick turn". Whats better? Should I look to Toro, Simplicity/Snapper instead? Which one is easiest to turn in the same class as 928e?

Link on their site for the 928E:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=LP1695441&tM=HO

Thx.
Replies: 18 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
tscanlon

Re: John Deere 928E Easy to turn or not?
Reply #18   Jan 14, 2009 9:15 am
To ettidura

To answer your question: "Also, does anyone carry Simplicity online...I am in MA and they appear to be sold out everywhere."

I just bought a Simplicity L1530E from ASC Power Equipment in Methuen (978) 682-5770 and after selling me mine (I get delivery tonight) they had 3 of those machines left.

Additionally, as of yesterday he had one L1428E.

Don't know of his other stock as I was only looking in their Large Frame category.

I have dealt with these guys before but only for parts for my Ariens mower.

Tom

nibbler

Knob Style Differential
Reply #19   Jan 14, 2009 9:45 am
I had a look at the link the OP supplied. There doesn't seem to be any description of what they mean by the phrase "knob style differential". From the discussion on this thread I get the feeling that the unit is a axle mounted pin lock system that has a knob on it. If so then this is NOT a DIFFERENTIAL.

A differential is more than just releasing a wheel so that it can free wheel. Its basic purpose is to allow two or more wheels to go around a turn and have power and speed properly allocated to the wheels. The wheel on the inside of the turn turns at a lower RPM than the wheel on the outside of the turn. Its mechanically more complicated and much more sophisticated than letting a wheel run free. A limited slip differential alleviates the problem that occurs when one of the wheels start to slip on ice or in mud. With a normal differential the slipping wheel gets all the power and you are stuck. With a limited slip differential all the driven wheels are guaranteed to get some of the power and hence you are less likely to get stuck. This is normally in the context of vehicles, the only snow blowers that I know of that currently have differentials are ones manufactured by Ariens. If I remember correctly John Deere did hire Ariens to manufacture snow blowers at one point and I think some ( or all, I'm not sure) had differrentials. I'm wondering about the current crop of John Deere units.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the John Deer 928E has a true differential?
This message was modified Jan 14, 2009 by nibbler
Clay

Re: Knob Style Differential
Reply #20   Jan 17, 2009 12:10 pm
nibbler wrote:
I had a look at the link the OP supplied. There doesn't seem to be any description of what they mean by the phrase "knob style differential". From the discussion on this thread I get the feeling that the unit is a axle mounted pin lock system that has a knob on it. If so then this is NOT a DIFFERENTIAL.

A differential is more than just releasing a wheel so that it can free wheel. Its basic purpose is to allow two or more wheels to go around a turn and have power and speed properly allocated to the wheels. The wheel on the inside of the turn turns at a lower RPM than the wheel on the outside of the turn. Its mechanically more complicated and much more sophisticated than letting a wheel run free. A limited slip differential alleviates the problem that occurs when one of the wheels start to slip on ice or in mud. With a normal differential the slipping wheel gets all the power and you are stuck. With a limited slip differential all the driven wheels are guaranteed to get some of the power and hence you are less likely to get stuck. This is normally in the context of vehicles, the only snow blowers that I know of that currently have differentials are ones manufactured by Ariens. If I remember correctly John Deere did hire Ariens to manufacture snow blowers at one point and I think some ( or all, I'm not sure) had differrentials. I'm wondering about the current crop of John Deere units.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the John Deer 928E has a true differential?

The 928 does not have the easy turn feature.  I was not able to contact John Deere to get a good explaination on the "true differential" question:  They did return my call but I wasn't available when they did and I haven't called them back yet.  Here is a pdf file that shows a nice picture of the 1130's Easy turn feature. 

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/media/pdfs/jd_snowthrowers_brochure_eng.pdf

The 1130 is the only one in their line that offers the Easy turn and it is again not on the 928E:  Here is the JD website where it gives specs on both units:  http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=LP1695442&tM=HO

Replies: 18 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42