Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is this a good model Simplicity (Sno-Away 8)?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
reretteK

Is this a good model Simplicity (Sno-Away 8)?
Original Message   Jan 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Looking at a used Simplicity Sno-Away 8, 2 stage snowblower, 8 hp. Tecumseh Snow King with electric start.

The seller is asking $400.  It is a 3 hour drive away...I have seen photos and it looks great...no rust, etc.  It's 24" wide.  Just not sure it's worth $400 plus a 6 hour round trip.

I don't have the exact model number or serial number and the seller says he cannot read it off the sticker.   It looks like a tank...solid steel control arms not tubular...seller says he bought it new 8-10 years ago and has only used it 3 seasons.

This is to replace a 8HP 26" Yard Machines (MTD) that keeps falling apart.  My goal is a quality machine that will last 10+ years without major repairs.  My driveway is almost 100 feet long but not very wide...I think 24" is enough but concerned about going down from 26"...any thoughts?

Is this is good model?  It looks like the current pro series only older with a smaller engine and cut.
This message was modified Jan 12, 2009 by reretteK
Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
reretteK

Re: Should I buy this used Simplicity?
Reply #2   Jan 12, 2009 10:00 am
JeffM wrote:
I don't know about the machine, but you will notice the 2 inch reduction in width a lot more than you might think. 

Hope you're wrong there.  We'll see.

I went ahead and got the unit.  I think the basic model is Sno-Away 860 as in 8HP and 60cm (24").  The actual model number is 1691900.  Anyone got any feedback or advice for this model?

Like what kind of oil to use on the Tecumseh, what kind of grease or other oil to use elsewhere, etc?

Also - can you add a headlight kit to this?  How about adding a chute deflector remote control?

Thanks,

- Ed
Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42