Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > wedgefield snowblower auger stopped

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
timh310

wedgefield snowblower auger stopped
Original Message   Jan 8, 2009 9:36 am
last night i was using for the first time a inheriated pretty old wedgefield snowblower. i got most of my driveway done when i hit what sounded like ice and my augers quit. when i shift the auger on and off it doesnt even flinch. none of the shafts turn not even a pitch change. i tried turning the auger by hand with it engaged  and not engaged and nothing moves?? any help
Replies: 9 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
MacLorry27

Re: wedgefield snowblower auger stopped
Reply #9   Jan 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Glad you found the problem and that it was something easily corrected. As for the lube in the auger gearbox, check it and if it’s ok or only a bit low, leave it until you find out what to use as borat advised.

However, you might find there’s very little lube in the gearbox and/or you might not be able to find out what lube was recommended. There is a solution.

Newer machines are going to liquid grease rather than gear oil. The difference between grease and oil is that grease also contains a thickener such as lithium compounds, molybdenum compounds, or PTFE’s (Teflon). All grease contains an oil base, so a good gear oil won’t damage seals that a low temperature liquid grease won’t damage. In a pinch you can use a synthetic 75w-90 gear oil. A synthetic gear oil will have excellent low temperature properties and higher shear strength that any conventional gear oil. Using it even if you don’t know if it’s the right lube is much better than having little or no lube in the gearbox, which is not uncommon on old machines. If you do find the gearbox is nearly dry and you add gear oil, the gearbox will likely leak oil for a while until the gaskets swell up. Just put something under the gearbox to keep it from messing your garage floor. Also, keep an eye on the level.

stokolan

Reply #10   Dec 24, 2014 10:47 am
Hi I have an old wedgefield snow thrower as well and it would be great to see pictures of it.I have not used it in years because we bought a new one on sale .yesterday I tried to get it running but it has no spark I don`t remember if and where the on/ off switch is on them can anyone help please
trouts2

Reply #11   Dec 25, 2014 2:29 pm
   He will also want a grease/oil rated for EP, extra pressure unless the manf spec's something else.
Replies: 9 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42