Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 11528DLE will not drive all of the time, help!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
brjl

Ariens 11528DLE will not drive all of the time, help!
Original Message   Jan 2, 2009 7:23 am
Bought this Ariens 11528DLE last year, in January. For some reason, the forward and reverse drive will stop working. The friction wheel is fine, and there is no adjustment for the belt. I brought it to the local Ariens dealer, and of course, they could not reproduce the problem. They were nice enough to look inside, clean the wheel that the friction wheel drives with brake cleaner. Next snow storm, same thing, one pass down the driveway, and it stops. The dealer says, never heard of this one, maybe water is getting inside.

Paid lots of money for a machine that is touted as one of the best, I wish I could figure out why it is happening. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Brian from NH

Replies: 17 - 26 of 46Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Re: Ariens 11528DLE will not drive all of the time, help!
Reply #17   Jan 9, 2009 9:47 pm
What I would do is place the machine in the service position. (follow your manual)

Remove the cover exposing the drive wheel mechanism. With some WD-40 spray on the metal tube in which the disk drive wheel mechanism is guided (rides) on. The drive disc movement when squeezing the drive handle is maybe 1/4 inch but my guess it is binding just enough to prevent the springs from applying adequate pressure to allow enough friction between the rubber disk and metal drive disk.

That would cause problems in both forward and reverse. This is a guess, but I like to do things that are cheap and easy to do first.

I had a problem that was very close to your problem with my 1136DLE. Snowmann gave me the fix and it worked. Never a problem since. My problem was slightly different as binding occured in both engaging AND disengaging in forward and reverse.
mech12

Reply #18   Jan 10, 2009 9:26 am
http://www.snowblowerguide.com/manuals/ariens_snow_thrower_manual_1.pdf
brjl

Reply #19   Jan 10, 2009 2:43 pm
mech12 wrote:
http://www.snowblowerguide.com/manuals/ariens_snow_thrower_manual_1.pdf

Ok, I'll bite, looks like my manual.
Snowmann

Reply #20   Jan 10, 2009 6:28 pm
brjl wrote:
Ok, I'll bite, looks like my manual.

Brjl, this is not your manual. 924,XXX platform went out of production in 2004. Your's and Bob1031's are completely different machines.

Also, NewJerseyBT's problem is not the same as your's, so don't try to replicate his fix. He has the 924,XXX platform machine. Transmission is very different.

PK
brjl

Reply #21   Jan 10, 2009 6:56 pm
Snowmann wrote:
Brjl, this is not your manual. 924,XXX platform went out of production in 2004. Your's and Bob1031's are completely different machines.

Also, NewJerseyBT's problem is not the same as your's, so don't try to replicate his fix. He has the 924,XXX platform machine. Transmission is very different.

PK

Thanks Snowman.

Brian NH

bob1031

Reply #22   Jan 13, 2009 1:46 pm
My machine is back in the shop after speaking with Ariens.  It's in for diagnosis....again?  Geeeze I wonder what the problem is..Spoke with Ariens tech service and not much help there but I have to at least go through the motions - again in order to keep their eye on the problem.   It sent and email to the technical service person to try and get a loaner since I'm out a machine in the middle of winter but no call back.... In speaking with tech service, I asked the question of "What if they don't find a problem,,, then what and the answer was that they will send parts to rebuild the drive... I did find out that they initially tested the drive system with a rough surface drive pulley and then switched to a plated pulley which slips...Hmmmmmm...I pulled off the belt and bottom cover and cleaned the thing all up before the last storm.. put a rubber gasket inside around the belt cover and baffle and then duct taped all around the belt cover and any open hole in the unit where water could get in..  It looked beautiful.  Nice and silver and orange ... I'm giving them one last chance and then my next service call will be to someone in the legal profession.
brjl

Reply #23   Jan 13, 2009 10:27 pm
bob1031 wrote:
My machine is back in the shop after speaking with Ariens.  It's in for diagnosis....again?  Geeeze I wonder what the problem is..Spoke with Ariens tech service and not much help there but I have to at least go through the motions - again in order to keep their eye on the problem.   It sent and email to the technical service person to try and get a loaner since I'm out a machine in the middle of winter but no call back.... In speaking with tech service, I asked the question of "What if they don't find a problem,,, then what and the answer was that they will send parts to rebuild the drive... I did find out that they initially tested the drive system with a rough surface drive pulley and then switched to a plated pulley which slips...Hmmmmmm...I pulled off the belt and bottom cover and cleaned the thing all up before the last storm.. put a rubber gasket inside around the belt cover and baffle and then duct taped all around the belt cover and any open hole in the unit where water could get in..  It looked beautiful.  Nice and silver and orange ... I'm giving them one last chance and then my next service call will be to someone in the legal profession.

Bob, I just had my baffle installed at the dealer and I spoke to the tech that did it. He has been fixing machines for years and told me that even though he has never heard of this problem, the baffle is not going to fix what is happening. But, like you, I am going through the motions.

Brian NH

bob1031

Reply #24   Jan 16, 2009 9:07 am
Brian

Dealer put in a new textured drive plate yesterday and I'll be picking it up tomorrow.  Said the old one was the zinc coated plate which was very slippery.  If your machine is still in the shop, I would have them call Ariens and have them expedite the part and have them put it in for you.. It's at least worth a shot.  Snowmann had given me a part number of p/n# 526027.   We'll see what happens when the next storm rolls in...  !!!

pvrp

Reply #25   Jan 16, 2009 12:48 pm
bob1031 wrote:

Dealer put in a new textured drive plate yesterday and I'll be picking it up tomorrow.  Said the old one was the zinc coated plate which was very slippery.  If your machine is still in the shop, I would have them call Ariens and have them expedite the part and have them put it in for you.. It's at least worth a shot.  Snowmann had given me a part number of p/n# 526027.   We'll see what happens when the next storm rolls in...  !!!

526027 is the number in the current parts manual.  When were the bad ones installed ?

How can you tell if you have a good one or a bad one ?

Will Ariens issue a recall for this ?

Paul
brjl

Reply #26   Jan 17, 2009 7:10 am
bob1031 wrote:
Brian

Thanks Bob, I will be sure to call Ariens about the drive plate, it makes much more sense than that stupid baffle that they put on my machine. Please let us know if the new plate was the fix for this problem.

Brian, freezing in NH

Replies: 17 - 26 of 46Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42