Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman Electric Start malfunction

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bobpetras

Craftsman Electric Start malfunction
Original Message   Jan 5, 2009 1:19 pm
I have a four year old Sears Craftsman 9.5 HP 27" Two-Stage Power-Propelled Snow Thrower Model 944.524590. It was part of the Sears recall with the Briggs & Stratton OHV engine issues with the primer. I got the usual fix like everyone else. We have just come through a bitterly cold spell and I decided to use the electric start instead of the conventional recoil starter handle.

It finally engaged and started the Snow Thrower. The first few presses on the button did nothing.

I used it a couple of more times and finally the electric start seized up. The recoil starter handle works just fine. When I plug in the cord and press the starter button, nothing is happening. No response, noise or anything.

Where do you begin to look and is the electric start toast?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
snowmachine

Re: Craftsman Electric Start malfunction
Reply #1   Jan 5, 2009 8:32 pm
I'd pull the starter off first to see if anything was binding. I would then try a quick test off the machine to see if electric motor worked off of the blower.
bobpetras

Re: Craftsman Electric Start malfunction
Reply #2   Jan 12, 2009 7:28 pm
I pulled the sealed module off where the electric start plug in is located. After I wiggled it around and plugged it back in - presto it started. Unfortunately it didn't remain like that and the starting using the power cord was very intermittent.

I am not sure what is exactly inside this sealed power module that is wired into the starter. Either it has a faulty connector or will need to be replaced.

Has any one ever opened up these "sealed" modules where the cord plugs into?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42