Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > HM80 ignition missing - now I have spark! but nothing else

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pldawg

HM80 ignition missing - now I have spark! but nothing else
Original Message   Jan 4, 2009 11:57 pm
I just received a non-working Jacobsen Imperial 826 and where there should be a key to turn on and off the machine there is nothing but a wire.  This snowblower has an HM80 engine and there is not a spark produced.  I can post pictures if there is anything you would like to see to help, I'd like to just put a rocker switch on but I am not really sure what else might be required.

Thanks in advance!
This message was modified Jan 5, 2009 by pldawg
Replies: 2 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
pldawg

Re: HM80 ignition missing
Reply #2   Jan 5, 2009 12:23 pm
wow, thanks for the info.  That's perfect, so maybe I don't have an ignition problem.

I should have been more clear in my original post, I have a hole on the dash where I thought the ignition should be but there is just wire tied in a knot.  I have scenarios 1 and 2 then right as I have another wire running into the plate above the carburetor.

So I will make sure that the throttle is not on Stop and look for a spark again.

Here are the images I took this morning before coming to work.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rithomitis/HM80Imperial826#
pldawg

Reply #3   Jan 5, 2009 12:35 pm
Oh and one more thing, do you happen to know what size shear pin the 826 utilizes?  I have a broken one and I forgot to take the good one with me to get a replacement on my way home.

Thanks again!
trouts2

Reply #4   Jan 5, 2009 5:27 pm
Your model is a 52040T and the engine HM80 155015E if original.

That's a nice snowblower. It's solid, the tractor section is the standard basic design and built well, the auger gearbox is ok, has grease fittings, nice auger blades and the usual crummy cheap handles everyone used then that flop around and rattle. Like most of the older well built snowblowers the bodies outlasted their motors. If you motor has ok compression you'll have a nice snowblower when you get spark back.

Jacobson does not make the big two stages anymore and does not support them. Parts are available though at least the parts that will possibly break under normal use will be available. Many parts cross to other makers so around. Your pin is 342449 google that and you can probably find a supplier that lists the bolt size. Any breakable bolt is ok.

ke
This message was modified Jan 5, 2009 by trouts2
pldawg

Reply #5   Jan 5, 2009 6:06 pm
Excellent, thanks for the help, I was able to find the right size shear pin and I will post back tonight if I can get anything to work!  Thanks again!
pldawg

Reply #6   Jan 5, 2009 10:16 pm
Ok, so I definitely have spark now.  the carburetor is leaking from the main nozzle when I prime it more than a couple times.  So it leaks out the main nozzle and then drips out the back of the choke part of the carburetor.

I have taken the carburetor apart but I will have to look around for a rebuild kit, probably all gone in town.  Anything specific that I should be looking to replace in the carb?
This message was modified Jan 6, 2009 by pldawg
pldawg

Re: HM80 ignition missing - now I have spark! but nothing else
Reply #7   Jan 9, 2009 1:23 pm
Thanks for all your help trouts2, I probably wouldn't have figured out the spark issue if you hadn't sent me the scenarios...I really appreciate it and after a good carb cleaning the blower runs like a champ!!!  Thanks again for all of you help.
trouts2

Re: HM80 ignition missing - now I have spark! but nothing else
Reply #8   Jan 9, 2009 7:18 pm

Pldawg,

Nice work.  You’ve got yourself a great machine at a great price.  It may not toss as far as a new machine but it will dig in better than most and probably match or beat newer machines on throughput. 

David

Replies: 2 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42