Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Augur not spinning when motor engaged

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BSexton

Augur not spinning when motor engaged
Original Message   Jan 5, 2009 9:01 am
I have a old Wards single stage snow thrower made by MTD.
I recently hit something with the auger and it no longer spins when the motor drives it.The belt is not broken. The auger spins by hand, and from what I've read I have broken the shear pin. My problem is that the manual doesn't show any shear pin, and I can't find one on the augur shaft. Is it possible that this machine was made without a shear pin? Could the augur have been welded to the shaft and I broke the weld?
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Augur not spinning when motor engaged
Reply #1   Jan 5, 2009 9:23 am

The belt may not be tensioned correctly – unlikely

The welds broken should be obvious so unlikely.

Not sure about the arrangement on that model but some single stages have woodruff or straight key on the auger axle to connect to a belt driven pulley.  It might be sheared. 

What’s the factory model and serial number off the machine tag probably on the underside cover?

trouts2

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42