Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower comments

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowy1

Snowblower comments
Original Message   Jan 4, 2009 5:18 am
First of all, I've been reading here along time reviewing everyones questions and comments on the different brands of snowblowers. After a few experience's of my own  I will let you know what worked  the best for me.

For about 18 years I have been doing grass cutting and snowblowing as a part time job. For winter I only take about half the accounts that I do for grass cutting. The winter of '07-'08 i had 11 residential driveways/sidewalks and for '08-'09 winter I have 12. My 10 year old Snappper 1030 was showing it's use. I have a Toro 3650 also. I shopped around the major brands and it seemed the Toro dealers alll insisted that the powermax was the snowblower to have! I thought their single stage work good so the 2 stage should be good also! After looking at Snapper (no comparison to my old one) Ariens and Toro, I bought an 1128OXE Toro in March of '07. Used it a few times and the season was done. Here in SE WI we had a winter like we haven't seen in years for "07-"08. That winter set record snowfalls. So far this winter is starting out the same.  After using the Toro for a few snowstorms I had a few problems. The wheels would stop moving all of the sudden they'd go again. Stop and go on and off-how annoying! The joystick control wouldn't lock the chute in posistion and all of the sudden the wheel drive handle no longer locked the auger handle down, So much for the advertised 1 handed operation. Do you know how hard it is to keep both handles down and turn the chute at the same time? Thee next day I called the Dealer up, told him my problems and he picked it up the next day. He called me the following day and said everything is fixed. We sealed the belt cover and made some adjustments to the cables. he brought the snowblower back. 3 days later we get another 10 inches. I clear my driveway first to get out. I make 3 passes and the wheels stop moving keep the handle down all of the sudden it goes for awhile and stops.Call the dealer up he says I thought for sure we had It fixed. All they did was goop around the cover with some black silicone. The rest of the day it was stop and go. the auger handle would still release on it's own. The joystick control for the chute was actually fixed.

The dealer picked it up again looked at it and called me.The drive wheel appears water is getting on the drive wheel! ( I could have told you that the first time.) We don't know what else to do. The single handle operation of the handles is strange. All of the sudden it just lets go. They delivered the snowblower once again.

I decided it's time for something different. I need something that works! Many people are relying on me when it snows. Looked around for an Ariens. I found a11528 DLE Pro. Traded the Toro in and will never look back.I bought the Ariens Feb. 22 '08. Since then I have did 162 Driveways/sidewalks with the Ariens. Keep in mind I use the single stage for the light snow. Not 1 call to the dealer! I'll take the Ariens differential over steering levers anyday. The throwing distance was greater, tires were bigger and it wasn't 60% recyclable plastic.

I always thought that plastic chutes were the way to go because they don't clog. To this day I have yet to clog the Ariens!

As for the  Toro 3650 , I sold it and bought a Honda HS520. It is so much quieter, runs smoother, and has better direction throwing the snow, and it even starts easier then the Toro.

These are my findings. Keep in mind I put an average of 10 years of use on a snowblower in one year! Ariens has me sold! As for Toro Advertising "No troublesome shear bolts". Run a Toro and an Ariens with shear bolts into the same thing ! Which will cost more to fix? Shear bolts are on augers for a reason.

The worst part about this whole deal is the Ariens would have costed only $250.00 more then the Toro when new.

I know I'll get some feedback, but this is what I have found in my own use. I have NO tolerance for something that doesn't work as it should when you really need it!

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
pvrp

Re: Snowblower comments
Reply #1   Jan 4, 2009 11:35 am
snowy1 wrote:

I always thought that plastic chutes were the way to go because they don't clog. To this day I have yet to clog the Ariens!

Good to hear you're happy with your Ariens.  One thing I've been meaning to mention to prospective
buyers, particularly about the higher end Ariens but problably also the top models from other manufacturers,
is the height of the chutes.  Near the end of the winter when there's a lot of snow built up (last year it was
just about even with my head on each side of the driveway) a longer chute will allow you to get the snow
up and over the edge of the cliff.  I have friends that could no longer throw the snow high enough with
their shorter chutes.

snowy1, what do you think of the 1st gear on your machine ?  I ask because I have a similar machine
and find it goes too fast in 1st for my liking.

Paul
MacLorry27

Reply #2   Jan 4, 2009 1:26 pm
snowy1 wrote:
I know I'll get some feedback, but this is what I have found in my own use. I have NO tolerance for something that doesn't work as it should when you really need it!

I’m with you on that. Other’s can tell you of their experience with a particularly machine, but it’s a person’s on experience that determines what they will purchase in the future. I had 28 seasons of good service from a Toro 419 (smallest two stage they made in the 70’s), but it’s unlikely the same people who designed and built that Toro are still doing it today. When I needed a new thrower I tried a Troy-Bilt, but it didn’t last through the first tank of gas and now I have a John Deere 928e (made by Simplicity), but I only have a few hours on it.

Like you, I have no tolerance for something that doesn't work as advertised. Thanks for sharing your experience as users speaking up are the only way to get the attention of manufactures.

Mac

This message was modified Jan 4, 2009 by MacLorry27
aa335

Reply #3   Jan 4, 2009 2:07 pm
snowy1 wrote:
He called me the following day and said everything is fixed. We sealed the belt cover and made some adjustments to the cables. he brought the snowblower back. 3 days later we get another 10 inches. I clear my driveway first to get out. I make 3 passes and the wheels stop moving keep the handle down all of the sudden it goes for awhile and stops.Call the dealer up he says I thought for sure we had It fixed. All they did was goop around the cover with some black silicone. The rest of the day it was stop and go. the auger handle would still release on it's own. The joystick control for the chute was actually fixed.

The dealer picked it up again looked at it and called me.The drive wheel appears water is getting on the drive wheel! ( I could have told you that the first time.) We don't know what else to do. The single handle operation of the handles is strange. All of the sudden it just lets go. They delivered the snowblower once again.

Sorry about your experience with a new machine.  This is absolutely frustrating since most of us have to stretch our budget to get the machine we've been oogling for some time to find out something doesnt work right out of the box.

My experience from dealers telling me that everything was fixed typically means two things, 1.  They think I don't know anything so they don't bother me with the details of what was actually wrong and fixed, or 2)  They did very little or nothing to fix the problem.  So far, it's been 50% of each.

Coldfingers

Reply #4   Jan 4, 2009 2:35 pm
thanks for your comments about your ariens! If you have done that much with it you have truely tested it out and then some. I had an eleven year old john deere 828 D which at the time was made by ariens for john deere at that time and had good luck with that one. Now I sold it and got an ariens 9526 DLET and so far really like this ariens also. We have ariens dealers close by so that helps in case you do need themas others on this sight have bought other machines with dealers in their area as well. When you need the blower its nice to be able to just go and use it without having naggy problems for sure.

Coldfingers

Paul7

Reply #5   Jan 4, 2009 9:56 pm
snowy1 wrote:
I decided it's time for something different. I need something that works! Many people are relying on me when it snows. Looked around for an Ariens. I found a11528 DLE Pro. Traded the Toro in and will never look back.I bought the Ariens Feb. 22 '08. Since then I have did 162 Driveways/sidewalks with the Ariens. Keep in mind I use the single stage for the light snow. Not 1 call to the dealer! I'll take the Ariens differential over steering levers anyday. The throwing distance was greater, tires were bigger and it wasn't 60% recyclable plastic.

Keep in mind I put an average of 10 years of use on a snowblower in one year!

I have NO tolerance for something that doesn't work as it should when you really need it!

Snowy's experience is exactly the performance and reliability one should expect when laying down the money for a "Professional" grade snowblower.  Regardless of the brand.  Now in Toro's defense I don't believe that they designate any of their snow throwers as "Professional or Commercial"...still no excuse for the problems the 1128OXE Toro had.
snowy1

Reply #6   Jan 5, 2009 12:22 am
As for for the response by Paul, 1st gear does seem about right. For some conditions it could be a bit slower. With the drive setup it has it looks like there isn't anymore adjustment to slow it down. It seems that between 5th and 6th there is hardly any noticeable change in speed.

As for the tall chute I will agree with you. There have been times when doing a sidewalk that I could blow it across the street to that sidewalk. I always laugh when people bury their mailbox by the curb. The right machine will throw it to your neighbor's mailbox!

Thanks for all the other replies!

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42