Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman 14.5 Torque Rating Snow Thrower, Model 917.881063

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

Craftsman 14.5 Torque Rating Snow Thrower, Model 917.881063
Original Message   Dec 8, 2008 1:15 pm
I have made a few comments about this machine in a couple of other posts, but wanted to do a review on a stand alone thread. 

I want this thread to be a place where I can log some ongoing experiences with this machine since it is really new.  I purchased it 12-1-08.  First let's look at the specs.  I pulled these right off of the Sears website:

Product Overview:
Stages:Two stage
Stages:Two stage
Item Weight:293.0 lbs.
General Warranty:2 year limited
Chute System:
Directional Chute Control:Yes
Chute Material:Steel
Chute Rotation:Yes, single motion
Maximum Chute Rotation:180 deg.
General Features:
Impeller Diameter:12 in.
Auger Style:Serrated drum
Auger Type:Curved blade
Number of Rotor Blades:3
Snow Dispersal:Impeller
Drive System:
Propulsion Type:Wheel engagement
Speeds, Forward:6
Speeds, Reverse:2
Motor-Engine:
Amps:1.5
Engine Brand:Briggs & StrattonŽ
Series:1450 Series
Electric Start:Yes
Starter Type:Electric
Torque Ft./Lbs.:14.5 ft. lbs.
Wheels & Tires:
Material:Rubber
Type:X-trac
Capacity:
Clearing Path:30 in.
Controls, Overall:
On/Off Type:Lever
Primary Location:Consoles
Primary Type:Lever
Controls, Safety:
Safety Override:Yes
Safety Lock:Yes
Convenience:
Starter Mitten Grip:Yes
Handles:
Handles Fold For Easy Storage:Yes
Color:
Overall Color:Red
Dimensions:
Intake Height:23 in.
Installation Requirements:
Setup:Fully assembled
Included with Item:
Accessory Type:

Starter mitten grip

Even though I have a relatively small walk and driveway, I wanted a larger machine since last year's snow fall was a record amount and this year is forecasted to be have more than last year.  I was using a 21 year old snowblower with a Tecumseh engine and it started to leak oil on the sidewalk as I used it.  I could have repaired it, but WANTED a larger machine.  The older unit has paid for itself many times over and I have nothing but respect for the Tecumseh engine.  The older unit will go to our vacation home for the few times a year that we visit during the winter. 
I looked at the following brands during my decision making process, Toro, Simplicity, Ariens, Cub Cadet, MTD and Craftsman.  While I think that the Toro machines are very fine indeed they were priced out of my consideration level.  Simplicity and Ariens were on the short list along with this particular Craftsman.  I chose this unit over the Ariens because of the issues that concern me with the Tecumseh engines in the long run as far as service and product availability.  It was an issue for me, but might not be for you.  Everyone should make their own decision on this but be aware that there are issues with Tecumseh engines going bankrupt even though they made a wonderful engine.  The newer B&S snow engines are pretty impressive but time will tell. 
I bought the machine on the Monday after Thanksgiving, called Cyber Monday so I was able to get the sale price plus another 10% off the sale price.  The unit was under $1000 and nothing else came close for engine size and intake opening size at this price point.  The  updated variable speed drive is nice compared to the older 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds.  The power steering is a nice feature.  I like the size of the tires as well. 
I wish that the chute would rotate more than 180 degrees, I was use to my old unit having a wider range of adjustment available.  Speaking of the chute itself.  I like that it is metal.  One of the biggest dissapointments was the placement of the control cables for the chute itself.  On my unit, Model number 917. 881063, one cable actaully made contact with the hot muffler and melted.  Sears sent out a repairman, but on the first call he called in sick; this happens.  The second appointment he showed up without the part.  When I called in the service call, I gave them the part number that needed to be replaced.  When the service man came, he looked at the part and said that he had to order it.  I said that when I placed the call I told them the exact part number.  He said, "yes, I saw that, but I don't have that part on the truck" .   I wondered why he even wasted his time.   He said that he would be back next week.  This was very frustrating, and I am not impressed with the service so far. 
On the unit itself, at this price point, I would buy it again.  I do understand that there are other nice units out there but I haven't found one at this price/performance point.  So for me, I'm happy with my decision.  We are forecasted to have 12 to 13" snow fall tonight, I'm looking forward to it to see how everything performs with a larger snow fall.
Replies: 52 - 56 of 56Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Slumlord

Re: Craftsman 14.5 Torque Rating Snow Thrower, Model 917.881063
Reply #52   Dec 30, 2008 10:43 pm
I will note that on the first night of test runs, I somehow manged to suck in a frozen leather work glove that must have been buried in the snow. It got jammed in the impeller and the entire machine ground to complete halt without breaking the supposed shear bolt!  We're talking terrible sounds, drastically dimming headlight, the works. Isn't that the point of shear pins? To prevent destructive seizure of expensive gearage along with the terrible smell of melting drive belts and such?  At the very least I immediately felt better about the purchase of that service plan of which up until that point I was still questioning the value of.

I think this may be a lengthy thread by the time spring finally rolls around.
This message was modified Dec 30, 2008 by Slumlord
snowmachine

Reply #53   Dec 30, 2008 10:56 pm
I wonder if shear bolts are over torqued? I've heard some state that over-torqued shear bolts are equally ineffective and they really shouldn't be tightened to more than 11 foot lbs. I'm not certain so someone in the know may be able to clarify.

You might want to take a quick peak at your belts. Only a couple screws to remove the cover.

Slumlord wrote:
I will note that on the first night of test runs, I somehow manged to suck in a frozen leather work glove that must have been buried in the snow. It got jammed in the impeller and the entire machine ground to complete halt <span style="font-style: italic;">without breaking the supposed shear bolt!</span>  We're talking terrible sounds, drastically dimming headlight, the works. Isn't that the point of shear pins? To prevent destructive seizure of expensive gearage along with the terrible smell of melting drive belts and such?  At the very least I immediately felt better about the purchase of that service plan of which up until that point I was still questioning the value of. <BR><BR>I think this may be a lengthy thread by the time spring finally rolls around.
snowmachine

Reply #54   Dec 30, 2008 11:03 pm
Whatever works to prevent the abrasion.

aa335 wrote:
Well, I went cheap and scrounge around for a 5 inch section of a 3/8&quot; ID plastic tubing.  Slit in half on one side and slipped it over the cable.  My snowblower already have a soft rubber cover over the cables installed from the factory.  However, an additional layer of harder tubing wouldn't hurt.   I could always replace this tubing every year if it sees some wear.
Clay

Reply #55   Dec 30, 2008 11:39 pm
Just to update this thread I have returned my 14.5 to Sears and have purchased an Ariens 1130 DLE to replace it.  When I walked into the service department there was a sign on the wall that said 21 day turn around.  Hopefully you won't need service when it's snowing too badly outside.  I already miss this unit but I don't miss Sear's service department.
snowmachine

Reply #56   Dec 31, 2008 11:29 am
Service manual can be downloaded from here:

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Husqvarna_Service_Repair_Manuals/W0302001.pdf

It says Electrolux but it is still relevant. Electrolux used to be the parent company of Husqvarna IIRC.

Service manual stuff starts at about page 23.
This message was modified Dec 31, 2008 by snowmachine
Replies: 52 - 56 of 56Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42