Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens shift fork popping out

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
redspitster

Ariens shift fork popping out
Original Message   Dec 24, 2008 9:29 am
 Hi All,

On my Ariens 8424 (932104) snowblower the speed shift fork shaft keeps comming out of the lower bushing so I cannot control the speed or reverse. If I put if back where it belongs It comes out after a short while. Is there son\mthing I am missisn that keeps tension on the forks shaft to keep it in the bushing?

Thanks  

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Re: Ariens shift fork popping out
Reply #1   Dec 24, 2008 9:58 am
Look under the dash where the shifter is. You will see a nut with a spring. Tighten it up a bit.

redspitster

Reply #2   Jan 1, 2009 9:34 pm
Not sure how the spring under the dash would help as I am talking about the shift fork that moves the rubbe rspeed disk. The shaft of the fork comes out of the bushing.  It seems like it needs some more tension to keep it seated into the bushing- just not sure what provides this tension...
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #3   Jan 1, 2009 9:40 pm
If you are talking about the underside of the machine where the rod goes into the fork there should be a cotter pin holding it in place.

redspitster

Reply #4   Jan 1, 2009 9:50 pm
No  this is underneath inside under the removable bottom cover plate.  The long rod from the shifter on the dash hooks to the shift fork. Inside the unit is my problem. The forks pivit bushing comes undone with the end shaft of the fork . Kind of hard to explain.. I will try to find a picture 
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #5   Jan 1, 2009 10:23 pm
The fork is shown in Ariens Parts Radar in the Ariens web page. Plug in your model number and find the fork under "Friction Drive".  I can't decipher how it is held in, but someone else may be able to.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42