Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Good, *small* snowthrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
IMMike

Good, *small* snowthrower
Original Message   Dec 20, 2008 6:33 pm
  I haven't seen any posts about small throwers.  I want something narrow that will fit in a single-car garage that actually has a car in it.  24" would be the maximum, but less would be preferable.  The driveway isn't large, and it is paved, but once I have my hernia operation I'm not going to be interested in shoveling any more snow for a while.
  In particular I'm hoping for a machine that can gnaw through the ice build-up that occurs because I tend to just drive over the snow for a while until I get around to dealing with it.
  It needs to be able to throw the snow a decent ways... there's a retaining wall beside the driveway and by the end of the winter the drift might be 8' above the driveway.  It really sucks to fling the snow up there with a shovel.

Any thoughts?  I'm not afraid to spend money on a good machine.

I'm assuming the serrated augers are for ice?  Do they work?

I.M.Mike
Replies: 5 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
IMMike

Re: Good, *small* snowthrower
Reply #5   Dec 21, 2008 5:01 pm
  Those BCS jobbies are interesting, but they seem to be a 'system' where you buy a base unit then bolt on stuff to turn it into a wood chipper, roto-tiller, or whatever.  It's pretty large.  They push the notion that other units 'need' to use two stages because of belt slip.  Well, from what I can see in that video, their unit *is* a two stage unit, as is the big 3-point-hitch unit (no belts involved) for the tractor at the folks' farm.  So either I'm confused about what differentiates between a single and dual stage thrower, or they are confused.

Anyway, along that same line, the single stage units aren't likely to be able to fling the snow high enough to get over the retaining wall drift, I wouldn't think.

Actually, maybe I *am* the one who is confused.  I assume that a single stage unit is something like one of those electric Toro snow-shovels which fling show straight forward using rubber fins on a rotating drum, whereas a dual-stage uses an auger to collect snow to the center of the unit where an impeller flings it out a chute in whatever direction the chute is pointing.  Am I confused?

I.M.Mike
trouts2

Re: Good, *small* snowthrower
Reply #6   Dec 21, 2008 6:09 pm
  I'd second the Ariens suggestion.   I've used a few 5520E's which I think are not available anymore.  They were smoking machines, chopped snow very well, and could easily throw an honest 25 to 30 feet and more in very good conditions.  I think the 520EC has one gear and something at least I would stay away from.  The 520E has forward and reverse speeds I think 6 and 2.   They are available in 20 and 24 inch widths.  The 20 is small and will require more time out in the driveway.  They spill snow to the sides a bit but if you need a small footprint the 20 is fine - 24 a bit more convenient. 

Possibly you could check with a dealer to see which would be closer to the 5520E - a 520E or a 624E. 

Replies: 5 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42