Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > snowblower reliability question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

snowblower reliability question
Original Message   Dec 14, 2008 10:00 am
So who exactly is still making snowblowers with the best parts?I keep reading about ball bearings as opposed to metal bushings or plastic bushings etc?Is it Simplicity?Or Honda?Do they use the better more reliable parts?A store next to me is selling a left over Simplicity Pro model 28" width with the crank handle for the chute rotator not the electric rotator.Would that have the better internal parts?
Replies: 18 - 27 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DCPowered

Re: snowblower reliability question
Reply #18   Dec 20, 2008 11:14 pm
I found out with these new china built engines they don't sell individual parts a least not the people our shop buys from, an example being if anything breaks on the carb they send a WHOLE carburetor,  a guy brought one in, the recoil spring needed replacing (brand new MTD Bolens single 21inch) they don't sell springs they just send a whole new recoil, and for cheap.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #19   Jan 17, 2011 3:29 pm
In the two years since this thread was last active, I wonder what kinds of comments anyone has about their particular experiences with Chinese engines.  I think it would be especially good to hear from small engine mechanics and dealers. 

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
rubinew

Reply #20   Jan 18, 2011 12:14 am
I think reliability is directly related to use, need and conditions. If you have light to average snowfall a few times a year and perform proper maintenance then many of the cheaper snow blowers will work well. I bought my first 'new' snow blower in 96 for $900, MTD, and it is running great, with original parts. This year, I will put new belts in it before giving to my Dad. Now in my current situation, way more snow, drifting, hard packed snow, etc, I needed an upgrade. I also needed something my wife could start and use in -30, when I travel. So I went with a more expensive model, that I know is reliable. No experience with Chinese products, but Japanese are very well built and reliable. There are 20 - 30 year old Japanese models out there, still running strong!
Paul7

Reply #21   Jan 18, 2011 12:56 am
coasteray wrote:
In the two years since this thread was last active, I wonder what kinds of comments anyone has about their particular experiences with Chinese engines.  I think it would be especially good to hear from small engine mechanics and dealers. 

I think that some B&S engines are made in China now.  I recently purchased a new power washer with an 8hp B&S Intek engine on it.  I have to say that if that engine was made in China then they're doing something right.  First pull starting every time, smooth power, etc.

As far a snow blower reliability I think that the older machines were very reliable but then again they were mostly featureless machines so there wasn't a whole lot to fail.  My Ariens ST504 has never needed anything, not even an adjustment, in 20 years. Of course it was a very simple two stage and as basic as can be.  My newer Ariens 11528 has a lot more features that can go out of whack.  Headlight, remote axle lock, remote chute controls, hand warmers, etc.  So while I would be thrilled if I get 20 years of trouble free service out of it, I won't be disappointed if something needs replaced or adjusted on it.  Just so the transmission, gearbox, and engine hold up. 

Speaking of engines, what usually blows out first...the snow blower or the engine?
rubinew

Reply #22   Jan 18, 2011 1:03 am
Paul7 wrote:
Speaking of engines, what usually blows out first...the snow blower or the engine?

if proper maintenance and usage is performed, I would expect the motor to outlast the blower, esp with a 4 cycle!
Bill_H

Reply #23   Jan 18, 2011 1:17 am
rubinew wrote:
if proper maintenance and usage is performed, I would expect the motor to outlast the blower, esp with a 4 cycle!

Especially with the cheaper build quality of the newer blowers. With an older blower -- say mid-80's or earlier -- I would say the opposite.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
rubinew

Reply #24   Jan 18, 2011 4:50 am
Bill_H wrote:
Especially with the cheaper build quality of the newer blowers. With an older blower -- say mid-80's or earlier -- I would say the opposite.

Depends on what is considered normal maintenance. For me, anything beyond Cleaning, Lubrication and Belts, and Spark Plugs is extra. I would be surprised to see a blower, even one from the 80's, go 30 years without a pully, bearing, etc, being replaced.

The problem is, most average ppl can change blower parts on their own, sometimes with a little direction. When it comes to the motor, these can sometimes be repaired with cheap parts, but can be knowledge and labor intensive.

Ex. I had a Honda CRX that had a timing belt fail premature, bent a few valves, needed a tow home. The average person would have taken it to a shop, cost around $1000 to fix. For me, it was <$200 and a day in the garage, better than before the damage.

Tthe average 4 cycle motor 'should' be good for 1000 - 1500 hours of use(likely more, just a conservative average), with proper maintenace and proper use.

With an average of 50 hours/year, that is 20 - 30 years that the motor should be good for. I would be surprised to see the rest of a snow blower go 20-30 years without some form of repair.

Bill_H

Reply #25   Jan 18, 2011 11:54 pm
I'd consider replacement of wear items (bearings, belts, drive wheels, etc) as normal maintenance, along with the usual clean/lube/oil change/etc. for "us".
In regards to "average" person? I don't think the average person would be here. Most of us will get 10+years out of a machine, the average person will get  ... 8, 6? The thin sheet metal on many newer machines will rust through in 4-5 years if not taken care of. Trouts sees a lot of old machines that need repair, he could probably give us a better idea of what the average homeowner gets.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
tkrotchko

Reply #26   Jan 19, 2011 12:10 am
rubinew wrote:
With an average of 50 hours/year, that is 20 - 30 years that the motor should be good for.

50 hours a year with a snowblower I'll bet is way more than the average homeowner puts on a snowblower. In fact, I don't believe that engine wear is the leading cause of snowblower failure. I'd be stunned if that were true. If I had to do a guess on small engine failures, #1 would be clogged carburettor. After that, you probably see failed/failing belts and rust/corrosion damage of some sort.
rubinew

Reply #27   Jan 19, 2011 12:26 am
tkrotchko wrote:
50 hours a year with a snowblower I'll bet is way more than the average homeowner puts on a snowblower. In fact, I don't believe that engine wear is the leading cause of snowblower failure. I'd be stunned if that were true. If I had to do a guess on small engine failures, #1 would be clogged carburettor. After that, you probably see failed/failing belts and rust/corrosion damage of some sort.

Oh Yes, 50 hours is way high! I just used a high number to show that even with that kind of use, the motor should outlast the snow blower.

For the record though, I did put ~50 hours on mine, Oct-Dec of 2010, but my case is extreme.If I was to guess, the average is probably closer to 20, depending where one lives.

Well Just seen Paul7 post, so I guess maybe 50 hours isn't high for some other people.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2011 by rubinew
Replies: 18 - 27 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42