Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ariens 1130 DLE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:

ariens 1130 DLE
Original Message   Dec 18, 2008 11:33 pm
I'm taking delivery of a new ariens 1130 DLE tomorrow that I purchased from a local dealer in Portsmouth, NH.

Long story short, I bought a used 8hp craftsman from an upstate snow thrower repairman for $175 which I thought was an incredible deal. We had about 1 1/2 inches drop last week, and sure enough with only 4 passes on the driveway, the engine blew. Luckily the guy was a man of honor and gave me my money back.

Have been looking at Sears and Home Depot for a few months now, so up to speed on the prices. And the local dealer was a bit higher in price, but actually knew all the ins and outs of the machines, including some maintenance tips. So that value add, plus the good feeling of supporting a local business, I decided to buy at the local dealer.

Plus, I also bought a Cub Cadet lawnmower with electric start from HD last summer and it had problems from day 1. So the local authorized CC dealer I took it to for repairs was also the guy I bought the new ariens from. Another long story short, the CC never worked as advertised and the authorized dealer suggested I take it back to HD, which I did to exchange for a Toro.

Anyway, I've read the new owners manual on the ariens already and can't wait until it comes tomorrow. We are looking forward to snow 5 out of the next 7 days.

Aside from changing the oil after the first 2 hours of use, can anyone offer any good maintenance tips? I've already stocked up on Pam cooking spray as I've read that it really helps in keeping clogs from building up.

Any advice is appreciated.
This message was modified Dec 18, 2008 by 03801
Replies: 2 - 11 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline

Re: ariens 1130 DLE
Reply #2   Dec 19, 2008 11:00 am
Thanks for all the great advice. Had a chance to share your input with the guy who delivered her this morning. He told me he personally set her up (in addition to making deliveries and giving a tutorial on using the machines they sell, he is also the shops head mechanic) and that I should run her for 2 hours then change the oil. Beyond that, he already greased all the internal components and pointed out the grease gun input near the right tire.

Thanks again for your insightful advice and I'll let you know how she handles the coming week of snow.
pvrp

Reply #3   Dec 19, 2008 11:38 am
If I were you I'd still pull a wheel off and see how much grease there is
on the axle.  You want a lot of grease.  Same for the base of the chute.
Mechanics in shops don't have to time to baby a machine whereas
you can, if you have the urge.  There is more to lubricating a snowblower
than shooting some grease in the fitting on the outside, which only goes
to one specific place.

Did he say he opened up the machine to lube the drive parts ?  The factory
sort of puts some grease in there but it can be improved upon.

Paul

This message was modified Dec 19, 2008 by pvrp
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #4   Dec 19, 2008 6:13 pm
I agree with Paul, If nothing else I would take off the wheels and anti seize them.  As for myself, if somebody had to post what I did when I bought my unit, I would have done it all.  The belts and adjustments should be fine, but its nice to be completely sure. On top of that you will be getting used to your machine and how it operates, giving yourself some ease when something happens. In the end you will need to be able to do all that is listed at some point in time, Unless you get somebody else to do that work for you. If you plan on doing the work, why not know how its done now and also ensure its right to make things easier to remove and work on it the future.

Paul, did your friction plate have a coating?

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
pvrp

Reply #5   Dec 19, 2008 7:49 pm
goofienewfie wrote:
Paul, did your friction plate have a coating?

I can't remember.  I know the attachment brake did but that doesn't mean anything.
There's been a change of plans and I won't get to it until after Christmas (and I'll
probably face about 3' of snow, with a layer or two of ice mixed in, should be fun.
At least the main part of the driveway is taken care of by a local guy with a tractor-
mounted blower).

Paul
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #6   Dec 19, 2008 9:34 pm
pvrp wrote:
I can't remember.  I know the attachment brake did but that doesn't mean anything.
There's been a change of plans and I won't get to it until after Christmas (and I'll
probably face about 3' of snow, with a layer or two of ice mixed in, should be fun.
At least the main part of the driveway is taken care of by a local guy with a tractor-
mounted blower).

Paul

Shucks! Yes, the attachment brakes and a few other things do, but wondering about the friction plate, next time in take a glance :)  Oh no, sounds like a bad recipe for fustration. Hope its not to bad to clear, no neighbor to help clean things up while away?

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
snowking63

Reply #7   Dec 20, 2008 8:44 pm
I as wondering if some one could awnser a question i got the same snow blower yesturday, and we got about 12inches and the blower just pushed the snow  to the side did very little throw throwing.I called the dealer back and he said to adjust the cable and put more tension on it, i did it and it did very little. I was wondering if any oner had any advice or what i can do.
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #8   Dec 20, 2008 9:23 pm
Did you take off the plastic cover over the pulleys to see if the belts are on the pulleys? Did you adjust the clutch/brake cable as per the manual? It sounds like the brake/clutch adjustment still isn't right.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
snowking63

Reply #9   Dec 20, 2008 9:34 pm
yes i checked the belts, like the manuel said.
This message was modified Dec 20, 2008 by snowking63
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #10   Dec 20, 2008 10:00 pm
snowking63 wrote:
I as wondering if some one could awnser a question i got the same snow blower yesturday, and we got about 12inches and the blower just pushed the snow  to the side did very little throw throwing.I called the dealer back and he said to adjust the cable and put more tension on it, i did it and it did very little. I was wondering if any oner had any advice or what i can do.

Start up the machine, turn off fuel valve and run carb dry until the unit shuts off. Remove the belt cover look at the belt space between the bracket that goes over the top and the belt. Check as per the manual, then flip the unit up in service position and remove the bottom cover pan and look in at the brake arm. Check it vs the specs in the manual. But a quick check would be to push down the auger lever to put it in engage position and watch the little brake arm release. Arm with a roller on it. Make sure its pushing up against the brake pad and moving it slightly off the belts. If the belts were set right in step one and the arm is pushing the brake pad off the belts, It should turned the impeller and auger when started.  Keep the cover off and put in back down into standard position and turn the fuel back on and start it up.  Engage the auger again and watch the belts to see if they are moving. If they are moving your impeller and auger should be as well.  Put a cable tie or band around the auger lever to keep it down and walk around front to watch the auger and impeller, they should be spinning. Be carefull, don't be foolish and get close.  If they are spinning everything should be fine if you set the belts right like the manual.  If you try it out again and its still not working right, the belt must be slipping, go over the adjustments again.  If they are not spinning, then shut the unit off, remove spark plug cap and check out the shear pins in the auger rod that goes through the center into the gear box. Remove them completely and inspect to see if they are cracked/broken off.

Its more and likely something to do with the belt slipping, the brake pad not being released or shear pins broken.  Make sure you are adjusting the right cable as the one on the left in operating position is for adjusting the friction plate for the wheels and disc.  The cable on the right is for the belt and brake arm release.  The one on the right is the one to focus on.
This message was modified Dec 20, 2008 by goofienewfie

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
Snowmann

Reply #11   Dec 20, 2008 10:49 pm
That doesn't make sense. That machine is beastly. Are the augers on backwards? If the left auger is on the right side, and vice versa, it'll push the snow away from the impeller.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42