Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Ariens 924DLE Maintenance

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sayardley

New Ariens 924DLE Maintenance
Original Message   Dec 14, 2008 10:50 am
Hello to everyone, I'm new to the forum. Another Canadian eh?

Thanks for all the info which helped me choose a machine with a differential as I have many turns and tight spots on my driveway

Could anyone suggest a superior spray lithium grease as I can't find the Ariens Sten product here and It would propably be of limited use anyway as there are no longer grease fittings

I plan to lube axles/wheels, auger shaft ,shear bolt (removal/replacement) now, and inside gears and bushings etc. in the spring

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

All the best

Steve

Toronto

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Snowmann

Re: New Ariens 924DLE Maintenance
Reply #1   Dec 14, 2008 11:21 am
You should use the closest thing to OEM that you can (if possible).

NLGI #2 Lithium grease for the gears and zerk fitting on the secondary reduction shaft (zerk is by the right wheel) , 90W AGMA 4/5 EP gear oil in the auger gear box, the same for any metal bushings. Auger and axle bushings require no lubrication, but low viscosity lithium spray grease will help the axle stave off rust.

For sure don't go overboard with lubrication. Belts and friction disks/drive plates can be severly compromised if they get contaminated. Remove the wheels from the axles and verify there is good coverage with the Teflon anti seize from the factory. If not, apply anti-sieze (Teflon preferred) or grease to prevent seizure and assist with future servicibility.

The auger shaft on this model no longer has zerks. The rake shaft is yellow zinc plated and there is PTFE/Teflon anti-seize applied between the auger shaft and tube. Technically you could easily install a zerk with a drill, but you'd have to fill the entire rake tube with grease. This model uses a stub auger shaft much like the Simplicity models. If you feel you need to lubricate this anyway, remove the shear bolts periodically to check for seizure and spray some penetrating oil while rotating the shaft.

PK
This message was modified Dec 14, 2008 by Snowmann
sayardley

Re: New Ariens 924DLE Maintenance
Reply #2   Dec 14, 2008 2:45 pm
Thanks PK

That's just the information I was looking for

Steve

Toronto

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42