Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Gear case seal leaking

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bmac2985

Gear case seal leaking
Original Message   Nov 29, 2008 7:27 pm
Hey guys,

I have a thirty year old Ariens snowblower (model 922024) that runs great. When I changed the fluid in the gear case

everything seemed fine. However, a couple days later I started it up and noticed that after running the auger

the rear seal, where the shaft comes out and goes to the large pulley, was leaking.

The oil I used was gear lube MP80/90EP.  Could this cause the problem? Or could a

30 year old seal be the problem.

Any suggestions???

Brian
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
mkd55

Re: Gear case seal leaking
Reply #1   Nov 30, 2008 7:42 am
i have the same machine but a 1984 unit.i had the same problem !first of all it is hard to find out what grease should go into the case,secondly if you do it is hard to get the grease itself.i tried lower gear lube for an outboard that was synthetic and it ran out the auger shaft seals.it worked for the season and then i did some reading and the cure is bentonite based grease.it is clay based and sticks to the parts instead of running off,two places i know of to get the grease .chainsaws use this grease to grease the sprocket tips of the bar and they refer to it as 00 grease,the second place is john deere uses a combine head grease that is clay base and that is what i used. i got a syringe from a farm store and packed it with this grease and shot it into the diff unit till it started running out. i did this last summer when it was warm out and the grease flowed pretty well.the snowblower has been sitting in the same spot since then and some but very little ran out on the floor.i believe this was cause i might of overfilled it some.the fill plug is below the auger shaft seals but not sure on the drive shaft level.when the correct amount of grease is added the level is below the auger shaft and doesnt seep out. hope this helps.
This message was modified Nov 30, 2008 by mkd55
bmac2985

Re: Gear case seal leaking
Reply #2   Nov 30, 2008 8:31 pm
I think you're right MKD55.

I've been doing some looking around and see that the 00 grease probably is the better

grease to use. Low/high temp working points as well as a superior lubrication. One

manufacturer even suggests it be used if your seals are leaking. Now where to find it???

I'm gonna call some agriculture businesses tomorrow, see if they can help.

Worse case, I'll go to the farmer across the street from me and see if he has some...

He just brought his corn in 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for the tip.

Brian 

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42