Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS521 SnowBlower Snowthrower Recoil Slip

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
frankd

Honda HS521 SnowBlower Snowthrower Recoil Slip
Original Message   Nov 19, 2008 3:47 pm
I have had this snowblower for at least 12 years, with medium use every winter (heavy at times). It always started on the first or second pull of the recoil string. Starting last season, from time to time, it felt like that the recoil would slip, as if there was no tension on it. It would do it for 4 or 5 pulls of the cord and finally it would start!
Is there anything I need to worry about? Will there be long term damage if not fixed? What is the fix? I can somewhat handle tools and open stuff.
Thanks
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
friiy

Re: Honda HS521 SnowBlower Snowthrower Recoil Slip
Reply #1   Nov 19, 2008 4:30 pm
When it starts..Does it require a longer run with the chokle ingaged?

Friiy

friiy

Re: Honda HS521 SnowBlower Snowthrower Recoil Slip
Reply #2   Nov 19, 2008 9:46 pm
Sorry, I read the wrong thing I was posting to....

The rewind is most likly dry or gummed up.  There is a unit that kicks out of the rewind that engages the cup on the flywheel.... This Pawl is kicked out by friction spring. The rewind units fricton can be overrided by the engine starting so it does not damage itself everytime the engine is started.   This ratcheting system can be seen sometimes if you pull the rewind slowly and look in the grill around the starter assy ( it should look like a finger comming out of the plastic starter assy spool).

Sometimes you can free the gummy/dusty deposits by shooting wd-40 with the straw though the grill on the rewind spool area where the finger's/ pawl retracts into..

Good luck,

Friiy

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42