Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton engine questions

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton engine questions
Original Message   Oct 18, 2008 2:31 am
Well, I'm still asking questions about snow blowers, this time about engines:

1)  I'm aware of the fact that Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton both use plastic timing parts in their OHV engines.  I'm not too crazy about plastic parts in engines.  Should I be concerned about both companies' OHV engines because of this?

2  Are the Tecumseh L-Head engines a good design?  All metal parts?  How about the stories I hear about L-Heads blowing rods (or is this just a matter of keeping your oil full and clean?) 

3)  Should I trust the L-Head more than any OHV engine?  I kind of get this impression from a couple of small engine mechanics I've talked with.

4)  Are larger engines a potential mechanical problem?  I'm thinking of engines larger than 10 or 11 horsepower.  A small engine mechanic told me that such a larger engine could invite more potential problems, but I can't exactly remember what he said without misquoting him.

I'll probably be back again with more questions.  In the meantime, thanks for any help on these latest ones.
This message was modified Oct 18, 2008 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42