Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 824

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Smitty1267

Ariens 824
Original Message   Sep 30, 2008 6:55 am
HELP!!!!!

I just replaced  the friction wheel on the Ariens 824 Snow thrower.  Everything appears to be working fine including the reverse which seems to be working great.  However when I put it in forward, nothing happens.   When I engage the gears in forward the friction disc just stops.  All seem to move free until I try to go forward. Anybody have any clue??? 

Replies: 5 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Smitty1267

Re: Ariens 824
Reply #5   Oct 3, 2008 6:14 am
Snowman,

It is an Ariens Sno-Thro  Model #93210-824

You are correct when you say the friction wheel is not moving.  When the clutch is ingaged and the drive wheel comes up to meet the Friction wheel is when the unit stops.  What is strange that it works in reverse just fine.  Forward it seems to lock up everything although the friction wheel rotates freely both forward and backward when not engaged.  I have checked the tension on the traction belt drive and that seems fine.  Thanks for your help in advance.

Smitty

Smitty1267

Reply #6   Oct 3, 2008 6:16 am
Snowman,

Model # 932100-824 sorry

Snowmann

Reply #7   Oct 3, 2008 11:45 am
Check the spindle shaft sintered bearings. Grab the lower pulley that drives the drive plate and try to move it in various directions. The problem doesn't appear to be between the friction disk and the wheels, but between the engine and drive plate. There's not too many parts there.

This unit has an available R3 performance upgrade kit 53212100 which greatly increases the durability and torque output.. If your unit has a 6.5" lower traction drive pulley, this kit should already be installed. If it is 8" or more, then it is stock.

PK

newhouseport

Reply #8   Nov 24, 2008 12:31 pm
Hi guys,

I'm a little late to the thread but I sort of have the same issue with a different serial # 824.  Mine is 932101. 

My problem is similar.  Engine runs fine as does Auger.  However the drive train does not engage.......  or should I say.....  it doesn't pull itself forward.  Even if I push it along, it doesn't seem to be be engaged.

Do I have the same issue?  What was the final recommendation to resolve the problem?  Is it the R3 upgrade and if so, can I order right from Ariens parts?

Thanks in advance.

Snowmann

Reply #9   Nov 24, 2008 11:14 pm
Your unit probably doesn't have the same problem. Sounds more like a worn out friction disk. Pop off the bottom cover and have a look.

It will also take the same performance drive kit as mentioned elsewhere in this thread if you so desire.

PK
karson8

Reply #10   Dec 18, 2008 11:30 am
Snowman - How do you "pop off" the bottom to check the friction disk.  My Ariens 824 stutters as it goes forward and anything it runs into it just stops, the wheels don't spin like it used to.  I basically push the thing and every once in a while it will engage.  From everything I have read the friction disk seems like the culprit.  I can follow instructions well I just can't find any to do this job.  Can you assist or even point me to a How-To guide?

My back will thank you.

goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #11   Dec 18, 2008 11:48 am
I just posted in the other post about the st824 and the augers not turning. In there, I posted links to what I believe is the service, parts and owner manuals for this machine. It should tell you how to replace friction disc.  AS for remove the pan, tip the unit in service position ( standing up on its bucket) and then should be bolts holding the pan on the bottom. Remove them, look in at the guts. :)  Before putting in service position, I like to shut off fuel valve and run machine dry. I make sure the fuel and oil cap and tight.

Without having the exact model and serial, I believe the below may be your parts manual.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/PM-24-89.pdf

This is your service manual.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/000123A.pdf

And owners manual

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/024532.pdf

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
karson8

Reply #12   Dec 19, 2008 10:17 am
Thanks for the fast response.  I appreciate it.
gkellner

Re: Ariens 824 drive belt idler arm spring attachment
Reply #13   Dec 19, 2008 6:33 pm
The spring has come off, which should attach to the drive belt idler arm. I see the hole in the arm where one end of the spring attaches, but can't find the place to attach the other end of the spring. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Replies: 5 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42