Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 221 vs 421

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
GunnyWaldo

Toro 221 vs 421
Original Message   Sep 24, 2008 9:56 am
I'm getting ready to make a purchase on either the Toro 221 2cycle snowblower or the 421 4cycle snowblower. I have searched every forum that I can find to figure out which one to buy. I live in IL so we get the typical 2", 3", 4", occasionally 6" snow fall and I'm leaning toward the 4 cycle engine however, it sounds like the 2 cycle has more horse power. My drive way is 20 feet wide by 65 ft long and I would love to hear from a 421 owner about how they like or dis-like their machine.

Any input is welcome, Thanks

This message was modified Sep 24, 2008 by GunnyWaldo
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
kona9

Re: Toro 221 vs 421
Reply #1   Sep 28, 2008 4:27 pm
You probably won't be able to tell the difference b/n the two besides having to mix fuel for one and having to change the oil every X number of hours on the other.  Do they both have the same controls?  Is there a weight difference?  Toro's 2-cycle single stage blowers are legendary, the new 4-cycle models have quite the challenge of maintaining that record. 
redcat2k

Reply #2   Oct 12, 2008 1:15 pm
I purchased a Toro CCR 3650 single stage snow thrower a few years ago. Its a 6.5 HP single stage blower with a 2 cycle engine. I live in the Chicagoland NW burbs. I absolutely love this machine. Never had any problems with the snowfalls in the last 3 years or so, even that heavy wet one where the high schools and even the colleges closed down, and the heavy snow waves from the plows were destroying mailboxes a block at a time. I prefer the single stage machines as they remove the snow down to the pavement without scratching the surface. This machine throws the snow over 30 feet ... I need to be careful not to blow the snow into the street, if I do I will put any cars passing by into a white out situation. The big benefit is that I can blow the snow over snow piles that are higher than I am tall (6 feet). It does have a 2 cycle engine so I do have to mix the gas and oil. There is also more smoke and noise than with my 4 cycle 6.5 hp lawn mower. If I had the choice I would probably check out the 4 cycle model as you are. But my 2 cycle is awesome too! I dont think you can make a mistake either way. BTW my wife and son love to use this machine. Usually the drive is clean before I come home from work as the wife ans son take turns using it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

skater4fun

Reply #3   Dec 23, 2008 3:55 pm
Little late to reply,but what the heck. My son has a ON-SITE truck and heavy equipment repair business. Among his customers are a lot of Landscapers. They, over the years, seem to favor the 2 cycle Toro's almost exclusively,

The subject came up when we were deciding to replace our two snow throwers. One, a two stage, 5 HP, 20 year old Canadian made Craftsman track machine and the other a Landscapers throw away machine. It's a Toro style 2 cycle, electric start made by White. The two machine are different as day and night. The Craftsman is heavy and to back up you must drive it back, very,,,,,,,,, slowly. The 2 cycle you just move around like a lawnmower or vacuum cleaner.

The Craftsman has an unusual feature which I would surly miss. It has a step bar in the back close to the ground under the handle. Normally when you put pressure on the handle of any thrower the front lifts up. However, when you press down and set that bar with your foot the weight distribution shifts miraculously and you can put almost all your weight on the handle and it still keeps its nose down.

Any way I shall miss the old beast {Craftsman}, by the way they don't make them like they used to, and looking forward to our 2 cycle Toro.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42