Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 624E vs. Ariens 927LE - Should I spend $200 more for the bigger model?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
roycemi

Ariens 624E vs. Ariens 927LE - Should I spend $200 more for the bigger model?
Original Message   Sep 6, 2008 6:38 am
I live in Green Bay, WI (Go Pack Go!) and last winter was too much for my 12 year old Toro single stage snowthrower.  I have a 3 car wide driveway approximately 45' long and I'm looking at getting a larger model and have narrowed my choices down to the Ariens 624E and the Ariens 927LE.  My local hardware store has the 624E availble for $799 and the 927LE for $999 so the price jump is not enormous.  I'm concerned that the 927LE may be too big and unwieldy to use, especially for my wife.  I understand it has the fingertip control to unlock the axle to make turns easier.  It also weighs 82 more pounds. Another difference is engine type where the 624 has an OHV and the 927 has an L-Head.  What's the difference?  My neighbor has a 624 and is quite happy with it and I think I would be as well.  I'm trying to understand if it's worth the extra $200 to get the larger model.  Thanks in advance for yoru assistance!  -Royce
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
dave66

Re: Ariens 624E vs. Ariens 927LE - Should I spend $200 more for the bigger model?
Reply #1   Sep 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi Royce,

I just checked those exact models out as well & had similar concerns. Growing-up my old man was very concerned about a snowthrower being unwieldy & thus avoiding the old "Deluxe 8hp" Ariens for just this reason. He bought the 7hp model & it was perfect for Mass. winters with a 2 car wide drive about 60' long that was on a serious incline. Now with my own house, I have a single car wide 40' long but I live in Buffalo so the 9hp seemed necessary for our infamous Winters.  I'm a good-sized guy (5'11, 250)  & I had trouble manually moving the 9hp & would never buy it for this reason. I would never imagine my Wife (5'2) using such a beast so I would suggest the 6hp for this reason (which in a pinch she could probably use).

The OHV vs. L-Head is new school vs. old school. The L-Head design is the older, more proven design but I don't really it's a big deal, personally. I'd still buy the 6hp for storage, saving my back, & maneuverability (axle lock or not) the bigger machine will beat you up more. My $.02 & Ariens is definitely the way to go, btw.

Dave

leo6274

Re: Ariens 624E vs. Ariens 927LE - Should I spend $200 more for the bigger model?
Reply #2   Oct 6, 2008 3:12 pm
For the amount of snow we got in the midwest this past season I wish I would have.
Snowmann

Reply #3   Oct 6, 2008 8:54 pm
With normal blowing the 624E will be more maneuverable (depending on how much use you make of the remote axle lock on the 927LE), but in the really heavy snow the opposite will be true. The significantly lighter weight and smaller tires on the 624E will limit the traction to a degree, whereas a heavier unit will keep bulling through the EOD pile.
oakville

Reply #4   Oct 8, 2008 2:37 pm
i've got an older 926DLE - it can bog down in heavy snow.  i'd worry about the smaller engine.

the unit is quite heavy, but it is well balanced, and is easy to fit into the garage with the car in there.

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42