Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Converting a points system to electronic.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
matt31

Converting a points system to electronic.
Original Message   Aug 17, 2008 9:49 am
Hi,

I have a 1982 Murray riding mower with a 16 HP opposing twin cylinder engine. I'd like to convert the points system to all electronic. I looked up the parts on another website and to convert the points over to electronic, I would have to order a part # that seems similar to the coil I already have on here. Is it just a different kind of coil pac I need? I know it would be cheaper just to keep the points on, but they need to be replaced anyways and I figured I'd just replace them with the electronic. Let me know!!

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
friiy

Re: Converting a points system to electronic.
Reply #1   Aug 17, 2008 8:12 pm
I think briggs call their electronic ignition "Magnatron"..   The new coil pack assy. would have a "bump" on one end of the coil, between the shoe and main pickup coil, it holds the "trigger".

I think the part number is 394891,  but check all you numbers on your motor for sure.

They do run nice,  and cheaper than having someone replace the points.  You don't need to take the flyweel off or break anything.

Good Luck,

Friiy

niper99

Reply #2   Aug 18, 2008 6:01 pm
l'm not 100 percent sure but l think the newer ignition coil (electronic) dont have the same bolt pattern and wont fit your motor. on the smaller engines up to 8 hp single cylinder u can buy a universal kit to replace the points ( $15.00), l would phone your local parts store and ask them what they have for 16 hp twin cylinder.
mech12

Reply #3   Aug 19, 2008 6:06 pm
friij is correct on this part number  etc.   it will have same bolt pattern as existing coil.   all you need to do is remove old coil ,  cut the points wiring and tuck underneath, install new coil and    properly gap.  usually with briggs coils the include a gap guage with the coil.    DO NOT REMOVE the plunger.  if you dont know what im saying than you should be all right.  just cut the wires.     
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42