Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 824E Gearcase Leak?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
andre

Ariens 824E Gearcase Leak?
Original Message   Aug 13, 2008 7:45 pm
I have an 824E, bought at Home Depot and used for 1 winter.  In the spring, while it was parked in the garage, I noticed that the gearcase was leaking from the rear.  The oil (or grease ) looked a little yellow.  Is it possible that its leaking after 1 season??  Is it a worn gasket where the shaft enters?  or from one of the bolts?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
mech12

Re: Ariens 824E Gearcase Leak?
Reply #1   Aug 14, 2008 11:49 am
   no its not a gasket.    the great ariens name went cheap on those cases and omitted the gasket and the use  515 gasket sealer.     stick with  mtd brand.
andre

Reply #2   Aug 14, 2008 8:58 pm
So what do I do?  Is this ready a defect and should be covered under warrenty? Is there an easy fix?
Snowmann

Reply #3   Aug 14, 2008 11:51 pm
Likely high oil fill. The gearboxes should get 5 ounces. Uncork filler screw, elevate wheels 4" with housing on floor. If oil runs out, it is overfilled. Let it run out until it stops. Clean filler screw and casting threads, reseal filler screw with pipe dope or Teflon tape, and reinstall. Rear oil seal isn't intended to have hydrostatic pressure present.

PK
mech12

Reply #4   Aug 19, 2008 6:01 pm
  what we use in the shop is a grease type fluid called  bentonite.   its semi liguid  it also contains clay,  which acts as the adhesion element in it.  keep in mind with these gearcases the are design as a splash system.  this means very little oil in bottom.  as gears rotate they pick up the lube from the bottom and splash onto top gears.   sucks.  hence the bentonite.  this stuff actually stick to all moving parts in gearcase.   this is a tecumseh product the run in the peerless transmissions.   yes if its leaking and within the 2 yr time frame i would take back.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42