Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How Much Power Do I need

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

How Much Power Do I need
Original Message   Jan 12, 2005 1:56 pm
I'm looking into a snow blower/thrower.  I live in upstate NY (near Albany) and would estimate we get about four to five storms a year with about 8".  There are the rare NorthEasters that may drop 15" every three or four years.

My driveway is on about a 3 degree grade, one car length in width for about thirty feet, then it opens up to about three car lengths wide (in an L shape) for about twenty feet.

Is a single stage thrower too small, or will it work but just take more time to clear the snow?

I see CR reviewed models recently and liked the single stage Toro CCR-2450 which I can get online (free shipping, no tax) for $537 at SpeedWaysales.com.

The two-stage model they liked was a Craftsman 88790, which Sears has on sale for $949.

I would love to hear what people think about the two-stage versus one-stage, especially if you live in the Northeast near Albany, and what models you think are the best.

Lastly, I HATE maintenance, and the Ariens web site scared the bejeesus out of me with their maintenance section (You must tighten the drive belt after 20 hours of usage.  Then in the drive belt section it says, "Be careful, if this is not done right you may be injured or killed").  
This message was modified Jan 12, 2005 by SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 19 - 28 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Re: How Much Power Do I need
Reply #19   Jan 13, 2005 11:34 am
I echo Dave's point.  Consumer Reports looks at features and entry price for their rating.  What they don't look for is construction and longevity.

The Crafstman unit you are looking at is made by MTD.  We have beat this horse to death over on the old forum so I will summarize, it is not the machine for a person who lives in a snow belt.  You need to buy a Premium machine for where you live and buy if for the what-if storms you WILL get. 

You are afraid of the Ariens maintenance we have never touched my Dad's 96 924 STE, except to change the oil.  It has been serviced for the first time this year.  It has always run perfectly. 

Emmo has led you to the water, it is now time for you to have a drink.

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Emmo

Reply #20   Jan 13, 2005 11:37 am
ChrisS wrote:
I echo Dave's point.  Consumer Reports looks at features and entry price for their rating.  What they don't look for is construction and longevity.

Dave and Chris,

Great minds............
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #21   Jan 13, 2005 11:43 am
I agree that the Ariens is the way to over the long haul in the Albany area. When you buy from Home Depot you'll just need to make sure the assembly steps outlined in your manual were properly carried out and you'll need to do the inital run-in for the belts (as per page 12 of your manual). If you need helpful advice as you go along you'll find plenty on this forum.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #22   Jan 13, 2005 12:01 pm
One other Ariens plus...

Parts availability for old (and Newer) equipment...

Some manufacturer's stop parts support after several (7?) years...

Example: ~ two years ago I bought a used 1960's Ariens snowblower...
Contacted Ariens and got the original Owner's and Service manuals for it... copies of course...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #23   Jan 13, 2005 12:19 pm
OK, if I go with the Ariens, how do you turn the unit around?  Do I need to keep the wheel lock clips out to make turns?  Do i have to pick it up and shove it?  Can my wife (petite) use this unit.

This is where I'm confused - handling.  Consumers gave Ariens its worse rating for maneuvarability.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Emmo

Reply #24   Jan 13, 2005 12:31 pm
Any unit with the pin-lock system, regardless of make, will be more difficult to maneuver than one with power steering or a differential.

Most get along just fine with the wheel pin lock out.   Only one wheel drives the unit allowing the other wheel to spin freely allowing you to turn it around with minimal effort.  You would pin both wheels for that "Huge dump".  Others pin both together all the time and just man-handle it.  It is much easier to man-handle on snow or ice covered surfaces as opposed to a dry showroom floor  or driveway.

Or if you want the ultimate,  Click here

It has a differential gear box that allows free steering, easy to maneuver. OHV engine, remote chute deflector,cast iron gear box, etc.etc

You should be able to find it for less than MSRP.

This message was modified Jan 13, 2005 by Emmo
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #25   Jan 13, 2005 12:48 pm
Snow, Dude, you can't go withe the MTD where you live.  If your wife is going to be using it then look at the Honda 724 WA/TA's which are lighter or one of the smaller Ariens or Simp units.  They will still be hard to turn for her but will be small enough for her to handle also.  The 926 DLE Emmo mentioned is THE machine and she will be able to turn it with it's differential easily.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #26   Jan 13, 2005 12:50 pm
Snowblowers are easier to turn on the snow...

You can "muscle" the machine to turn sharply...
...or...
...use reverse & forward to turn it in smaller increments with less physical force...
...or... easier yet...
...keep going forward while turning in a wider arc that you/she feel comfortable with...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Dantheman

Reply #27   Jan 13, 2005 1:06 pm
I would recommend the Ariens over the Craftsman for your area and would rather go to an Ariens dealer( not Home Depot ) and get the 926 DLE. The cast iron gear case and differential steering are well worth the extra money in your neck of the woods. 

When the "Big" storm hits you will be happy to have spent the extra dough.

Dan

SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #28   Jan 13, 2005 1:12 pm
"The 926 DLE Emmo mentioned is THE machine"

Now we're talking about $1350 or more.  I could buy a 9hp Craftsman and a single stage Toro for small jobs at that price.  I'm trying to keep it under a $1,000.  From what I'm hearing, the Ariens 8526 won't be easy to handle if I'm at work and my wife wants to clear the driveway.

No one can show any statistics that the Craftsman is less reliable, it's all "word of mouth", yet I can't find any more posts about Craftsman problems than Ariens or any other company.  Many people state their Craftsman is running great at 15, 20 or more years. 

If I didn't want the finger control steering available on the Craftsman for $949, I could get a 9hp Craftsman for $699.  And if I buy an Ariens at HD, they don't service it, so I have to go to a local dealer who wants $1,049 for the Ariens that HD has for $900.

Ariens is just too confusing to buy, too much maintenance without "risk of death", difficult to use without male hormones, Ariens dealers won't let me return the unit if I don't like it (Sears will),  and for $150 I can get a 5 year "in home" protection plan with unlimited service calls (raising the price to $1,100 vs $1,049 for the Ariens at the dealer).

The Ariens is only a 3 year limited warranty -  requiring "The purchaser must perform maintenance and minor adjustments explained in the owner's manual." or the warranty is voided AND I have to haul the unit (not exactly light) to a service facility for repairs.

So, unless someone can show me where my numbers, stats and facts don't add up, I think the Craftsman is the way to go.  I know the Ariens owners need to defend their purchase choice (like all the Chevy Cavalier owners) but the facts just don't add up to get an Ariens.

--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 19 - 28 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42