Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > craftsman snowblower light

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tombraider

craftsman snowblower light
Original Message   Jan 8, 2007 7:57 am
I have a 1992 8/24 snowblower passed on to me this year.It works excellent;although we`ve only had minimal snow this year.Can anyone tell me how to hookup a light to this machine. I`ve been examining them on new one a stores, but i don`t know where the connections are made ,or if i need any special parts,or even it can be done.Any,all help is welcome thanx.Reid.
Replies: 16 - 25 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Davezdaman

Re: craftsman snowblower light
Reply #16   May 17, 2008 9:51 pm
for the light kit to connect to the Tecumseh Snow King motor model yrs1988 to 2004 go to Outdoordistributors.com, pick MTD as the brand, go to lighting and you need MTD-OEM-390-255 12V 18 watt, it looks like it comes with the mounting hardware and all for about $50.00
JasonnB

Reply #17   Jan 29, 2009 12:35 am
Cool, this will work on mine? WHen I measured the volts it was 18 volts, so that means use an 18 watt bulb?

SNowman, you still around?

That link above shows a 27 watt light also for this same engine I have?

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/MTD/MTD_Snow/lighting.html
This message was modified Jan 29, 2009 by JasonnB
Snowmann

Reply #18   Jan 29, 2009 11:52 pm
JasonnB wrote:
Cool, this will work on mine? WHen I measured the volts it was 18 volts, so that means use an 18 watt bulb?

SNowman, you still around?

That link above shows a 27 watt light also for this same engine I have?

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/MTD/MTD_Snow/lighting.html

The Tecumseh 18W AC is unregulated. Voltage will depend on current draw. ~18W will get you to 12V which is what you need. 20W is close enough. 27W will brown out... Flood lens with wide pattern is preferable.
JasonnB

Reply #19   Jan 31, 2009 12:39 pm
Ok, so what do you suggest??? Is there something local, like at  JC whitney that would work? Do you have an actual light in mind?
Snowmann

Reply #20   Jan 31, 2009 6:31 pm
JasonnB wrote:
Ok, so what do you suggest??? Is there something local, like at  JC whitney that would work? Do you have an actual light in mind?

You probably won't find anything locally. It would be inherently automotive and at least 35W with an automotive style bulb (wouldn't even be able to buy a replacement bulb with a low enough wattage).

Not much out there for product specific aftermarket Snothro lights. Most units that were equipped with an alternator already have a light and it's only a matter of replacing the bulb. There's an MTD light listed in this posting (18W) that would work, but the bulb may be proprietary (MTD part number) and one could imagine how cheaply it could be made (coming from MTD).

I checked online for availability of the older incandescent Ariens pedestal light and didn't find anything. Also, the cost of a light direct from an Snowblower mfg'er would be pricey.

I'd say get the JW Speaker 4100, but I believe they only sell to OEM's. The nice thing about it is that it uses a MR16 halogen bulb which is available at any hardware store or mass retailer. You can get it in many different wattages and beam patterns. They also work well with the cold and vibration of a Snothro (I've used these in the past) and the sealed beam construction is nice to keep the ice and snow out of the lens housing (and they are fairly inexpensive).

Alternatively, there are aftermarket outdoor lights on Ebay for motorcycles, 4 wheelers, etc. with MR16 50 watt bulbs. You could buy one (but I think they come in pairs) and put a 36 degree 20W flood bulb in it (the bulb would be an additional ~$6 each on Ebay). I don't know that I'd stick an LED version of the MR16 in there though (get the halogen version). The light output in an LED is very directional and would not diffuse well and the relatively "dirty" current being supplied by the unregulated RPM dependent system might do some bad things to it.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATV-QUAD-DRIVING-LIGHTS-KAWASAKI-SUZUKI-ARTIC-CAT-BR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a4Q7c65Q3a16Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem260340146799QQitemZ260340146799QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts
This message was modified Jan 31, 2009 by Snowmann
JasonnB

Reply #21   Feb 10, 2010 11:38 pm
Hey again.... Never got around to adding the light last year, so I'm revisting this again. Are these the lights you meant?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATV-QUAD-DRIVING-LIGHTS-KAWASAKI-SUZUKI-ARTIC-CAT-BR_W0QQitemZ300335772611QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_100?hash=item45ed6833c3

ALso, just found this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07133168000P

Also was thinking about adding a snow cab/canopy. I see a lot of univeral ones on ebay, wondering if they are any good?
This message was modified Feb 11, 2010 by JasonnB
samdog

Reply #22   Feb 11, 2010 12:43 am
Like Snowbound, I am fond of the LED headlights. I do a lot of auto maintenance in my garage
and I don't even turn on the lights anymore. Just don't need to -- the headlight is very bright
and wherever I look....there's light.

I go running at night with it too -- freaked out the neighbor lady 'cause all she could see was
this bright bouncing light coming at her, six feet off the ground! Snowbound, I bet you get
some looks at the train station...

Anyway, that's not to discourage you from modding your snowthrower, but the headlights
do work very well.

This message was modified Feb 11, 2010 by samdog
cutter7

Reply #23   Oct 27, 2010 4:49 pm
JasonnB wrote:
Hey again.... Never got around to adding the light last year, so I'm revisting this again. Are these the lights you meant?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATV-QUAD-DRIVING-LIGHTS-KAWASAKI-SUZUKI-ARTIC-CAT-BR_W0QQitemZ300335772611QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_100?hash=item45ed6833c3

ALso, just found this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07133168000P

Also was thinking about adding a snow cab/canopy. I see a lot of univeral ones on ebay, wondering if they are any good?
jason,
don't know if you are still sorting this out or not.  but, I thought I'd pass on what was helpful to me.
I'm pretty sure the light you linked on ebay is not compatible.  they are 55 watt lights -- far in excess of what your snowblower will support.

I used a cheap and really simple solution that someone here and elsewhere suggested (someone named Marty, I think).  anyway, I bought an outdoor landscape light on sale at $5 or so at Menards.  it was rated for either a 20 watt or 10 watt bulb (but, Marty used a 7 watt light and posted that it was very bright).  my snowblower has a tecumseh engine with an 18 watt alternator (per manual).
I added a $2 switch (from automotive dept at Walmart), and wired it all in (specifically, wire with connector pin coming out of alternator to switch, then from other switch lead to light, then other lead from light to ground on engine mount).  the 10 watt bulb works beautifully, but I might switch out to the 20 watt bulb, if I need it. 
I am a very basic diy guy, so this does not demand any complex skills. 

in case you might be wondering: I placed the switch in a recycled AC adapter box (after cutting out a small opening for it) to protect the leads from snow/moisture, and mounted the light itself at a higher elevation than the factory panel between the handlebars (to minimize shadows from the chute).  I did this by using the pre-existing hole in the panel (I presumed for factory-mounted light) to bolt a 12" generic mending bar (~3/16" thick) from Home Depot/Lowes ($2) and then bolting the light onto that at the other end with a pipe-mounting bracket ($0.40).

in retrospect, it makes perfect sense to use the landscape light.  it's designed for outdoor use and exposure to the elements. toss the spike-in-the-ground portion and you have a well-sealed, low-voltage (all this means is essentially 12 volt, not household current), and low wattage (compared to automotive or household appliances) light source ready to be wired. 

anyway, I hope this helps you or someone.  I scoured the boards for a long time, trying to find an easy solution, until I found this.
now, I can't wait for the snow to start falling!  but, indian summer is nice, too.
JasonnB

Reply #24   Dec 31, 2010 11:27 am
Snowmann wrote:
The Tecumseh 18W AC is unregulated. Voltage will depend on current draw. ~18W will get you to 12V which is what you need. 20W is close enough. 27W will brown out... Flood lens with wide pattern is preferable.

Tecumseh alternator... The missing piece of information I want to know is how much current (amps) the thing
can put out???? I want to convert this AC alternator to DC with a 25A bridge to power a DC motor that will make the chute move electricly...
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #25   Dec 31, 2010 11:48 am
tombraider wrote:
I have a 1992 8/24 snowblower passed on to me this year.It works excellent;although we`ve only had minimal snow this year.Can anyone tell me how to hookup a light to this machine. I`ve been examining them on new one a stores, but i don`t know where the connections are made ,or if i need any special parts,or even it can be done.Any,all help is welcome thanx.Reid.

Make sure the engine has a stator to generate electricity.  If a Sears snowblower didn't have a light on it already, it may not.  Try to research the engine model they have to have made a few million of them.  The lights that can be used don't draw much electricity.  My new Honda accessory light is a 50 Watt Sealed Beam Halogen go to www.pmlights.com and look at the 507 F (F =Flood Pattern)  It has a rubber case designed to both absorb vibration which can ruin bulb filaments, and it also keeps the light weatherproof.  If you want the lower power draw requirements of an LED lamp, the model to choose is the 907 (look under new Products)  To actually buy the lamps go to www.foxtailights.com.  The 507 costs about 30 bucks, the 907 (LED) $72.00 plus freight to you.  To connect just ground the lights base to metal on the machine (the internal light wire connects to the steel mounting base of the 507 or 907), the other wire just connects to the stator connection point on the motor.  I had a Sears MTD model of similar vintage and installed a toggle switch between the light and the engine, otherwise the light is on whenever the engine is running.  good Luck !
Replies: 16 - 25 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42