Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Primer bulb does not squirt...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
oscarpro

Primer bulb does not squirt...
Original Message   May 15, 2008 10:04 pm
Briggs/Stratton carb. mounted on gas tank type. After taking the primer bulb off or out,  I noticed this check ball inbedded in the outer channel of the body. Is this ball supposed to move freely or is it permanent.  The check ball in the middle is ok and I cleaned & blew out the rest of the carb. Also new diaphram. Any suggestions out there....
Replies: 2 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
oscarpro

Re: Primer bulb does not squirt...
Reply #2   May 16, 2008 11:59 am
I think I had a blockage in the in hole of the primer section, because  now it's sqirting again. Thanks for your input Denis
mfduffy

Reply #3   Jun 5, 2008 6:56 pm
I think I too have a Primer that is not working properly. It's a Toro mower. Model 20017 Serial 220071311. Toro says priming three times is supposed to be enough. I've done 3 -- I've done as many as 12 and I still have to pull and pull and pull to get it started. Once it's started, it runs just fine and will restart easily, if I stop later. The bulb itself appears to be in fine shape. The spark plug and air filter are both brand new. How can I troubleshoot? Please be specific, if you can. I know what a carburetor is... that's it.
niper99

Reply #4   Jun 6, 2008 1:38 am
mfduffy wrote:
I think I too have a Primer that is not working properly. It's a Toro mower. Model 20017 Serial 220071311. Toro says priming three times is supposed to be enough. I've done 3 -- I've done as many as 12 and I still have to pull and pull and pull to get it started. Once it's started, it runs just fine and will restart easily, if I stop later. The bulb itself appears to be in fine shape. The spark plug and air filter are both brand new. How can I troubleshoot? Please be specific, if you can. I know what a carburetor is... that's it.

mfduffy,

Take the air filter off and look inside the carb well priming see if theres fuel, if not l would replace the primer bulb first, and if that doesnt work then the carbs gonna have to come off and be soaked and cleaned probally a blocked passage.

friiy

Reply #5   Jun 6, 2008 5:39 pm
Do these newer, primer button vaccum diaphram carbs have a check ball in the pickup tube like the older ones?

Friiy

nibbler

Reply #6   Jun 8, 2008 7:12 pm
Things to check for:
  1. Frayed or split tube going from bulb to carburetor, alchold in the gas is causing the rubber to stiffen a split faster than it used to;
  2. The tube and orfices are clear;
  3. There is gas in the tank and carburetor ( yes I've tried priming an engine with a dry tank, takes forever to get it going );
  4. Bulb isn't split and/or leaking;
friiy

Reply #7   Jun 9, 2008 1:02 am
Excuse my retarded question, I have not had one of the new primer /diaphram Briggs carbs apart....

Does this carb have 2 fuel pick-up tubes in the tank?

Does this tank have the Second chamber right below the carb like the older vaccum diaphram auto choke models with the choke control rod mounted on the diaphram?

IF so,  I have seen the second chamber have a puddle of water in it and keep the engine from starting.. (unable to pull through the shorter pickup tube to the carb body)

Hey, do me a favor and post the model, type and code..   So I can give it a good eyeball.

Thanks'

Friiy

niper99

Reply #8   Jun 9, 2008 9:24 pm
friiy wrote:
Excuse my retarded question, I have not had one of the new primer /diaphram Briggs carbs apart....

Does this carb have 2 fuel pick-up tubes in the tank?

Does this tank have the Second chamber right below the carb like the older vaccum diaphram auto choke models with the choke control rod mounted on the diaphram?

IF so,  I have seen the second chamber have a puddle of water in it and keep the engine from starting.. (unable to pull through the shorter pickup tube to the carb body)

Hey, do me a favor and post the model, type and code..   So I can give it a good eyeball.

Thanks'

Friiy

Does this carb have 2 fuel pick-up tubes in the tank?  (yes)

Does this tank have the Second chamber right below the carb like the older vaccum diaphram auto choke models with the choke control rod mounted on the diaphram? (yes)

and they do still use check valve ball style in some carbs.
This message was modified Jun 9, 2008 by niper99
Replies: 2 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42