Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > B&S lawn tractor engine

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
edcap

B&S lawn tractor engine
Original Message   May 12, 2008 4:38 pm
Hello, I've replaced a Briggs and Stratton engine (model 461707) with a newer one (model 303777) and I cannot get it to start with out spraying gas into the cylinders first. So, with choke full on, it will not pick up any fuel. There is a fuel soleniod on the carb and it is wired. I'm pretty sure this is working. I know it sounds nuts but there is not enough room on the internet to relate this nightmare.

Any help is appreciated,

Ed

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
friiy

Re: B&S lawn tractor engine
Reply #1   May 12, 2008 6:04 pm
Cut and paste this link at the bottom of the post.

look at page 5.

Pull the bowl off and clean the items marked 142 and 117, make sure all the holes are clear,  the part # 117  unscrews  (you may need to take a wide blade screwdriver and grind the shaft to fit in the hole)

The part #142 is just held in the hole by #117,  these parts are brass and may damage easy if you do not use the right size blade on the screwdriver,  so be carefull.   Be sure to clean the carb jet tower (the peice that holds 142 and 117) it has a hole that draws fuel to the 2 peices..

Good Luck.

Friiy

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/pdf/illustrated_parts_list/100/MS9727.pdf

friiy

Reply #2   May 12, 2008 6:15 pm
That Solenoid should make a snap noise if is working (when it engages or disengages). take it out and watch it.  you should see the shutoff needle move..

Good Luck,

Friiy

bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #3   May 12, 2008 10:26 pm
The above question is the same as mine! model 294777 type 0108-01 code 89112111. Craftsman AWS 14h.p. vanguard.
Cleaned the passages in the bowl screw with bread wrapper wire,took out needle valve and sprayed carb cleaner all

thru the carb. Silly question!!does the solenoid need to be grounded to the frame or motor? Should there be an

audible click when you turn the key on and off? Am jumping off of my truck cause I wore battery down.

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
friiy

Reply #4   May 12, 2008 10:43 pm
     Yes, it does need to be grounded.  If you have the  unit off  ( to clean the carb.).     Test it with jumper wires off the battery or a small  battery charger,  check the power going to the wire that feeds it with a volt meter..

The wire that feeds it is hot when in the run position.

Sometimes the safety switches will kill power to it.

Some of the safety switches installed on riding mowers are:

Seat switch

Blade clutch/ seat switch.

and so on...

P.S.  don't light yourself on fire trying to test this fuel cutofff in a area full of gas.  Test it  away from the dripping fuel of a taken apart carb. or other fuel spills..

Good luck,

Friiy

niper99

Reply #5   May 12, 2008 10:59 pm
friiy wrote:
     Yes, it does need to be grounded.  If you have the  unit off  ( to clean the carb.).     Test it with jumper wires off the battery or a small  battery charger,  check the power going to the wire that feeds it with a volt meter..

The wire that feeds it is hot when in the run position.

Sometimes the safety switches will kill power to it.

Some of the safety switches installed on riding mowers are:

Seat switch

Blade clutch/ seat switch.

and so on...

P.S.  don't light yourself on fire trying to test this fuel cutofff in a area full of gas.  Test it  away from the dripping fuel of a taken apart carb. or other fuel spills..

Good luck,

Friiy

hey friiy,

very good advice on this last post, anyway thanks for the support on trouts2 topic, just trying to help the guy out hopefully he gets it running?

edcap

Reply #6   May 13, 2008 6:03 pm
Hi Guys,

thanks for the info. I was in the process of ensuring the soleniod was firing before I started taking the carb apart. I have to make sure that the soleniod is active while I'm cranking position. It definitely snaps when I turn the key "on" but not sure about it when in the cranking position.

I've also looked at the discharge side of the fuel pump. I assumed that it would be squirting all over the place while cranking but it really was not. I will go to the carb next. I would have thought a new engine would behave better than this.

Anyway, you guys have been very helpful. I'll let you know.

ed

friiy

Reply #7   May 13, 2008 8:18 pm
You say this is a BRAND NEW engine..?   I have only found a few motors new from the factory that have been run.   The factory always sends a note that the engine was tested in the factory  and may have residual fuel that may need to be flushed.  If your carb was gummed up from bad fuel when you bought it,  my guess is that someone has run it before, someone  other than the factory.  Maybe the dealer installed it on something once for a short time before he sold it to you.  I find it hard to believe that the factory would have left so much fuel in the card to gum it up.   The note that we received was mostly just to explain the smell of fuel in the new tank.  I think to also reassure a buyer that they did not recieve a USED ENGINE or a DEFECTIVE  RETURN.

Anyway,  I bet there is nothing wrong with the engine that about 30 minutes could not fix.   This motor is to replace a older engine on a rider?  You may want to check that the wire comming off the starter solenoid going to the fuel solenoid  is HOT in BOTH RUN and START position.  

When you take the solenoid off to check the jet nozzel, check  if there is gum, varnish or water in the bowl.  If it is clean /shiny or dry ( no fuel) you may have another problem.

Also,   the vaccum diaphram fuel pump sometimes needs to be primed to start working. Do you have fuel to it yet?  Take off the output side , if it has drizzel of fuel you are ok.

If not,  you are just swishing air back in forth in it,  the easiest way to prime most  them is to take,( don't laugh),  your mouth around the tank fuel cap and blow a very light pressure in it..  just a  enought to force fuel to the pump to  wet the diaphrams and check valves.   also check your vaccum pressure line from the engine to pump, make sure it has not popped off.  

Good Luck,

Friiy

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42