Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Front Worm Shaft/Gear on a Ariens ST824 -- Can you take a look and tell me if it looks OK?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jackied63

Front Worm Shaft/Gear on a Ariens ST824 -- Can you take a look and tell me if it looks OK?
Original Message   Mar 16, 2008 4:46 pm
Hello.  I need a more experience pair of eyes.

I sucked up a door mat during the recent heavy snows, and afterwards the front rake wouldn't turn when it got under a load.   First I thought I sheered the pins, but they were in tact.   So I looked and it looked like the impeller was turning fine, but the front rake shaft wasn't turning.  So, I suspected the front gear box.    So 8 hours of labor later, I'm ready to crack apart that front gear box to view the carnage inside it, and  .. well here it is...  Is it my imagination or does this thing look OK?

I've never seen a new one so I don't know what is wear and what's original.

If this looks OK.. then my only conclusion could be that what I thought was a busted gear box may well have just been belt slippage...  Although I swear the impeller was turning when the rake was stopped.

Anyone else got any better suggestions... I'm all ears.  

Thanks.
JD.
Replies: 9 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jackied63

Re: Front Worm Shaft/Gear on a Ariens ST824 -- Can you take a look and tell me if it looks OK?
Reply #9   Apr 10, 2008 11:08 pm
Thanks a ton all.  

I think I was too hasty in thinking it was more serious than a belt.  All of the pieces seem to be solid, and I don't see any excessive wear.  Since I got it all apart, I'm going to clean it up, and replace the belts and such -- so that I am ready for next winter. 

I greatly appreciate all the help and advice.

JD.
Replies: 9 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42