Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How Much Power Do I need

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

How Much Power Do I need
Original Message   Jan 12, 2005 1:56 pm
I'm looking into a snow blower/thrower.  I live in upstate NY (near Albany) and would estimate we get about four to five storms a year with about 8".  There are the rare NorthEasters that may drop 15" every three or four years.

My driveway is on about a 3 degree grade, one car length in width for about thirty feet, then it opens up to about three car lengths wide (in an L shape) for about twenty feet.

Is a single stage thrower too small, or will it work but just take more time to clear the snow?

I see CR reviewed models recently and liked the single stage Toro CCR-2450 which I can get online (free shipping, no tax) for $537 at SpeedWaysales.com.

The two-stage model they liked was a Craftsman 88790, which Sears has on sale for $949.

I would love to hear what people think about the two-stage versus one-stage, especially if you live in the Northeast near Albany, and what models you think are the best.

Lastly, I HATE maintenance, and the Ariens web site scared the bejeesus out of me with their maintenance section (You must tighten the drive belt after 20 hours of usage.  Then in the drive belt section it says, "Be careful, if this is not done right you may be injured or killed").  
This message was modified Jan 12, 2005 by SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 3 - 12 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Cajunblu

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Re: How Much Power Do I need
Reply #3   Jan 12, 2005 2:44 pm
SnowRemover wrote:
I'm looking into a snow blower/thrower.  I live in upstate NY (near Albany) and would estimate we get about four to five storms a year with about 8&quot;.  There are the rare NorthEasters that may drop 15&quot; every three or four years.<br/><br/>My driveway is on about a 3 degree grade, one car length in width for about thirty feet, then it opens up to about three car lengths wide (in an L shape) for about twenty feet.<br/><br/>Is a single stage thrower too small, or will it work but just take more time to clear the snow?<br/><br/>I see CR reviewed models recently and liked the single stage Toro CCR-2450 which I can get online (free shipping, no tax) for $537 at SpeedWaysales.com.<br/><br/>The two-stage model they liked was a Craftsman 88790, which Sears has on sale for $949.<br/><br/>I would love to hear what people think about the two-stage versus one-stage, especially if you live in the Northeast near Albany, and what models you think are the best. <br/><br/>Lastly, I HATE maintenance, and the Ariens web site scared the bejeesus out of me with their maintenance section (You must tighten the drive belt after 20 hours of usage.  Then in the drive belt section it says, &quot;Be careful, if this is not done right you may be injured or killed&quot;).   <br type="_moz"/>

Check out HD they have ariens on sale....

Robert

Craftsman 888531 9/28 Easy Steer.

"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles,
and the letters get in the wrong places"

SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #4   Jan 12, 2005 2:53 pm
OK,

For $1,300 I can get the top rated Toro 828LXE (free shipping/no tax).

That said, for $40/storm, I can get a guy to come over and snow blow my driveway and walk.

Now let's assume 5 storms a year (where a thrower is really needed - I can shovel 4" or less without a problem).  That would be $200/year in having someone else do it.  Add in costs for operating a snow thrower, and I would argue it would take seven years ($1,400) for the snow thrower to pay for itself.

How long will a Toro last (it comes with a 3 year warranty)?

According to the National Weather service, my area gets (on average) 15.7" snowfall in Jan, 13.2" Feb, 11.1" Mar & 13.4" Dec.  Now most of our snowfall in a month should come in more than one storm, so on average I shouldn't see too many 8+" snow falls.  I've seen other people say that a single stage is enough for less than 8", but I have a big driveway (even if John doesn't think so ) it's the biggest in a neighborhood of 120 homes.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #5   Jan 12, 2005 3:21 pm
WHAT VALUE DO YOU PLACE ON BEING ABLE TO DO IT YOURSELF AT THE TIME YOU ACTUALLY NEED IT DONE WITHOUT WAITING FOR THE DUDE TO MAKE IT TO YOUR HOUSE. WHAT ABOUT EMERGENCIES THAT COULD COME UP BEFORE HE CAN GET THERE? I DON'T WHAT IT'S WORTH BUT I AM SURE IT'S WORTH SOMETHING TO YOU? IT WOULD BE WORTH A WHOLE LOT TO ME.

Sorry for the caps.

This message was modified Jan 12, 2005 by Marshall
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #6   Jan 12, 2005 3:38 pm
Marshall wrote:
WHAT VALUE DO YOU PLACE ON BEING ABLE TO DO IT YOURSELF AT THE TIME YOU ACTUALLY NEED IT DONE WITHOUT WAITING FOR THE DUDE TO MAKE IT TO YOUR HOUSE. WHAT ABOUT EMERGENCIES THAT COULD COME UP BEFORE HE CAN GET THERE? I DON'T WHAT IT'S WORTH BUT I AM SURE IT'S WORTH SOMETHING TO YOU? IT WOULD BE WORTH A WHOLE LOT TO ME.

Sorry for the caps.

That was kind of what I was asking you guys?  Is it worth it?  Is single stage Toro enough?

--Friedrich Nietzsche
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Jan 12, 2005 3:46 pm
Hi...

Go ahead and try a single stage and see how you like it...

Ask local equipment dealers if they have a demo unit you can try...

If not... buy one...

You can always sell or keep it and get a 2-stage if needed...

1-stage will be good for the smaller storms at least... and it never hurts to have more than one machine ! 
Right tool for the job... 

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

jubol

Reply #8   Jan 12, 2005 3:47 pm
SnowRemover,

I would sooner buy the Craftsman 8HP, Murray built blower for $699.00 than buy a single stage blower. It has an

8Hp overhead valve engine, which folks tell me is equal to about 9.6 Hp in a flat head engine.

It should handle any thing you get in your area!!

Fred

This message was modified Jan 12, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   Jan 12, 2005 3:52 pm
Snowremover, by the way, welcome to the forum! 
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #10   Jan 12, 2005 4:02 pm
Ok, I would highly encourage you to follow the advice given so far.  This is not the piece of equipment that you should be looking to cut costs on.  Where you live I guarantee you will regret your decision and eventually have to pay for the machine you should have bought in the first place.  Now that will cost you.

Yes Welcome!

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Emmo

Reply #11   Jan 12, 2005 4:17 pm
Snowremover....I've already PM"d some info to you.....

What kind of units do your neighbors have??  Talk to them and get the pro's and con's as they see it.  My perception is that a 2 stage will be a better fit.  Self propelled, better for EOD, able to easlily handle the big dumps.

The singles are probably quicker to use, they're very nimble.  Take up less storage space.  Easily handle the 4-8 inch storms.

The overall question of whether you can justify one or not.  Like Marshall said, who wants to wait on the snow dude?  You can do it when you need it done.  No more shovelling those storms of 4" or less like you were talking about(Think of the time savings not shovelling).  I don't know how old you are, but if you can affford it, living where you do, by all  means go for it.  It will quickly pay for itself and if it saves you a heart attack along the way......well, PRICELESS. 
This message was modified Jan 12, 2005 by Emmo
hickster

Reply #12   Jan 12, 2005 9:33 pm
Hate Maintenance? Buy a HONDA!

928WA (wheels) or 928TA (Tracks!)

Think more like 12-15 years of ownership.

Yes, they are worth it (but can be bought for less than MSRP).

hickster

Weather outlook for the "Anchorage bowl"

Blower      HS928TA 
Mower      HRR216PDA 
Washer    Excell XR2700 (6.5 Honda-GX/AR-2700psi/3gpm) 
Trimmer   John Deere (Homelite clone)
Saw         Husky 141 

Replies: 3 - 12 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42