Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Front Worm Shaft/Gear on a Ariens ST824 -- Can you take a look and tell me if it looks OK?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jackied63

Front Worm Shaft/Gear on a Ariens ST824 -- Can you take a look and tell me if it looks OK?
Original Message   Mar 16, 2008 4:46 pm
Hello.  I need a more experience pair of eyes.

I sucked up a door mat during the recent heavy snows, and afterwards the front rake wouldn't turn when it got under a load.   First I thought I sheered the pins, but they were in tact.   So I looked and it looked like the impeller was turning fine, but the front rake shaft wasn't turning.  So, I suspected the front gear box.    So 8 hours of labor later, I'm ready to crack apart that front gear box to view the carnage inside it, and  .. well here it is...  Is it my imagination or does this thing look OK?

I've never seen a new one so I don't know what is wear and what's original.

If this looks OK.. then my only conclusion could be that what I thought was a busted gear box may well have just been belt slippage...  Although I swear the impeller was turning when the rake was stopped.

Anyone else got any better suggestions... I'm all ears.  

Thanks.
JD.
Replies: 2 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jackied63

Re: Front Worm Shaft/Gear on a Ariens ST824 -- Can you take a look and tell me if it looks OK?
Reply #2   Mar 16, 2008 11:23 pm
I was afraid someone would say that.  I'd hate to think that I tore this whole thing down for a belt, but then it makes sense given that those shear pins should have gone before any gear damage.   I took special care early in the season to make sure I had the right shear pins for that exact reason.

On the bright side, I know exactly how this bugger comes apart now.

The woodruff key (assuming your talking about the key near the impeller end of the worm shaft) is in good shape.  The only other possibility I can think of is that the pin that's holding the gear to the shaft is sheered allowing the gear to turn on the shaft.  I tested it with my hands, and the gear isn't spinning "freely" by any means.    Since I'm here -- I'm going to pound it out and take a look see.    If that's fine  -- I guess I'll put it all back together again.

I know the belt wasn't broken -- so assuming that issue is a belt slipping... Can anyone help me on how to make sure that doesn't happen.   Is it just a belt replacement -- or are there adjustments to be made.

All help GREATLY appreciated.
JD.
Moderator Denis

Re: Front Worm Shaft/Gear on a Ariens ST824 -- Can you take a look and tell me if it looks OK?
Reply #3   Mar 17, 2008 5:42 am
I think your problem is the shaft that goes in the impeller, there's a round pin that goes across that shaft, the impeller turns but not the shaft?

Snowmann

Reply #4   Mar 17, 2008 11:24 pm
I would guess the groove pin on the shoulder of the gear is sheared. Otherwise looks fine on the inside.

PK
trouts2

Reply #5   Mar 19, 2008 12:28 pm
Above I was refering to the "thing" that holds on the gear.  Ariens uses a groove pin instead of a woodruff key which is what Snowmann properly called it.  The picture Dennis posted must have been too large to show the complete breakdown.  Above 5, which is cutoff, is a woodruff key for the impeller which you have now checked. 

There's a service manual at:
http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/000123A.pdf

Moderator Denis

Reply #6   Mar 19, 2008 12:42 pm
trouts2 wrote:
Above I was refering to the "thing" that holds on the gear.  Ariens uses a groove pin instead of a woodruff key which is what Snowmann properly called it.  The picture Dennis posted must have been too large to show the complete breakdown.  Above 5, which is cutoff, is a woodruff key for the impeller which you have now checked. 

There's a service manual at:
http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/000123A.pdf

jackied63

Reply #7   Mar 30, 2008 11:53 pm
Hey guys, Thanks.

Sorry for the radio silence.  I chucked it all on the garage floor and headed for sunny FLA for a week. 

The shaft key (#34) is rock solid.  In fact, It's rusted in place such that I can get it out.    As long as we're talking about the same one.   This would be the key that holds the hub that holds the belt pulley.. so that all of that assembly doesn't spin freely on the primary worm rod, true?  
This message was modified Mar 30, 2008 by jackied63
trouts2

Reply #8   Apr 1, 2008 11:04 am
What you've described is a little confusing i.e. "the key that holds the hub that holds the belt pulley".

In general helical gears are pinned or keyed in place so they can be driven by the worm and turn the auger shaft arms which have the blades bolted or fastened to them in various ways (shear pin, hinch clip, bolt).
Worms are part of the driving shaft or keyed to that shaft.
Impellers can be keyed and usually double pinned.

The main driven shaft extends back through the intake housing where it's connected to something that drives the whole assembly. That's usually a coupling to a shaft and driven pulley or directly to a driven pulley. Those are also usually keyed and or have set screws.

All the components are mated to the auger drive shaft or blade drive shaft, no components turn freely on their shafts.

The pulleys need to turn with their shafts also without slipping so get the same keys, pins or set scres to lock them in place. There's no clutch mechanisms to slip the pulleys. They are engaged usually by a tensioner pulley controlled from the handle bars.
The tensioner tightens the belt and the belt then drives the pulley on the auger drive shaft.

If all the keys, pins and set screws are in place the auger drive assembly will turn as a unit without slipping anywhere. The impeller turns usually at 1200 rpm, the blades reduced to 120 rpm.

It looks like you've checked all the keys and pins in the auger assembly and probably the key for the large drive pulley in back of the housing so all fine. If the driving pulley from the motor is ok then possibly your down to the belt slipping.

If the belt was slipping but turning the impeller at 12 rpm the auger blades would turn at 1.2 which barely moving and might not be noticed. It's easy to imagine that someone could look at the impeller and on a quick look not see the blades turning as usually with the belt slipping quite a bit.
trouts
jackied63

Reply #9   Apr 10, 2008 11:08 pm
Thanks a ton all.  

I think I was too hasty in thinking it was more serious than a belt.  All of the pieces seem to be solid, and I don't see any excessive wear.  Since I got it all apart, I'm going to clean it up, and replace the belts and such -- so that I am ready for next winter. 

I greatly appreciate all the help and advice.

JD.
Replies: 2 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42