Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere TR27 -- auger does not turn. Is there a shear pin I'm missing?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jasdempsey

John Deere TR27 -- auger does not turn. Is there a shear pin I'm missing?
Original Message   Feb 29, 2008 11:32 am
Hi,

I have an old John Deere TR27 two stage snow thrower.   It recently broke -- the engine is fine, but when I engage the auger, the auger doesn't spin and the impeller makes the smallest of motions, about 1/4" and then stops.  It had been working fine and then I stopped for a moment, to adjust something and when I re-engaged the auger, it didn't spin.

With the snow thrower off, it is clear that the shear pins for the auger are intact --I cannot rotate the auger by hand and the pins look visibly intact.  The impeller seems to move easily, however.

Is there some other shear pin I should be looking for?  One associated with the impeller?  I didn't hit anything when it stopped working, so it shouldn't have sheared anything.  Perhaps something more serious is busted in the auger driver mechanism/transmission.

Now since the machine is 17 years old (!), I would happily just go buy a new one.   However, after going to two power equipment stores and a Home Depot, I could  only find a total of three snow throwers available -- two small toros and a probably-too-expensive 9hp Honda HS928.  I guess it is too late in the season here in New England.  If available I would probably get the Ariens 11528DLE.

Thanks for any advice,

--Jim--

This message was modified Feb 29, 2008 by jasdempsey
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42