Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 824: 1/2 of auger not rotating properly

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ksbrace

Ariens 824: 1/2 of auger not rotating properly
Original Message   Feb 27, 2008 9:01 am
Hello,
  I have an Ariens 824 Snow Blower/Thrower and only the right side of the Auger is working properly.  The left half I can spin with my hand and it will rotate when engaged but it just spins, doesn't actually have any force to chew up the snow.  The rigth half, I can NOT move/rotate with my hand, but when engaged it is working properly.  Just looking for some experienced user who may have encountered this issue before to see if I can possibly tackle this on my own or if this is somethign that requires me to send it to the shop.  Thanks in advance for any and all tips/advice.

Kelly
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
poorshoesless

Re: Ariens 824: 1/2 of auger not rotating properly
Reply #1   Feb 27, 2008 11:00 am
Kelly,

It's probably your shear bolt (pin) that's broken.  Check your manual on how to change it...

lumbrjck

Reply #2   Mar 2, 2008 11:28 am
If not the shear pin, it's probabley the gear box.  have fun
Moderator Denis

Reply #3   Mar 3, 2008 9:01 am
If you broke something in gear case you are going to have to open it. For that you need to remove the ole unit out of the  auger housing and then remove the rakes out of the shaft that are usely in 90% case rust on the shat and very hard to get off. Once I had to cut the rake along the tube with an air steel cutting wheel, big job, when putting it back had to weld it, big job, put new zerks adding grease, it's very important , so if the shear bolt still present you are going to remove it any way with a punch and sledge hammer, if you cannont remove it this way use a cutting torch it will do the job but dont overzize the hole??

Good Luck

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42