Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > toro sheer pins vs bolts

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mpkeon

toro sheer pins vs bolts
Original Message   Feb 27, 2008 8:11 am
I bought a brand new toro snowblower (10 HP) a few years back, this is probably the fourth season in operation. It was back to the dealer twice the first season because instead of sheer pins the case hardened bolts that are supposed to shut down the mach. turned through the auger sleeve rendering it useless. My dealer's solution was to install "sheer  pins". They seemed a bit long, but worked. Well now i have to replace them, the old one were 1/4" bolts, is that a standard size for a sheer pin? And are sheer pins just reall a scored bolt?
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
trouts2

Re: toro sheer pins vs bolts
Reply #1   Feb 27, 2008 2:11 pm
It's a guess but maybe you have this machine:

38559, 1028 Power Shift Snowthrower, 2003 (SN 230000001-230999999)

The drawing for your part is here:
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=38559%2C+1028+Power+Shift+Snowthrower%2C+2003+%28SN+230000001-230999999%29&dn=3324_656-_6560003-0001

The part number is 60 on the drawing, part number 322-12. If the link above does not work then google Toro and navigate to their "parts viewer" and give it your model number.

There is sometimes a little confusion when people talk about the part in a snowblower that is supposed to break when the auger blades hit something that stops the blades. That part is usually a metal pin of some sort and different manufacturors make different versions of it. The pin hold the auger blades to the auger drive arms and is meant to break when the auger blades are overloaded.

Manufacturors call for using a specific pin for their machinies.  Most companies call the pin a shear pin or shear bolt. Toro calls it a screw-hh in their drawings but in their literature refer to it as a shear pin.  It's acutally a bolt and nut type but they call it screw-hh for some reason.  It dosn't make much difference but the right part has to be in there. 

There are various sizes for these pins depending on the size of the snowblower. The pins for a 4 horse power machine are thinner than for a 10 horse power. Toro calls for various size pins for their smaller and larger machines. 1/4 inch is not a standard size for all machines.

Some companies pins are scored and some are not. The pins are not just off the shelf bolts which get scored. They are bolts made from weaker metal the is meant to break when loaded beyond their rating. The width can be 1/4, bigger or smaller depending on what the manf specifies.

So that's the background info on pins and the naming.  I went overboard on the explination to make it very clear what should be in your machine given what you wrote and that we would be on the same page for pin terms.

You wrote "because instead of sheer pins the case hardened bolts that are supposed to shut down the mach. turned through the auger sleeve rendering it useless".    Case hardened bolts should not have been in there.  What should have been in there was a Toro part specified by Toro and called screw-hh which is a bolt-like pin meant to break on overload and people usually call shear pin or shear bolt. 

That's a little confusing because you say instead of shear pins there were case hardened bolts. The only thing that should be there is the screw-hh which can be called a shear pin or shear bolt. You said there was a case hardened bolt in there. Who put that in? If it came from the dealer with an off the shelf bolt instead of the correct screw-hh (called a shear pin or shear bolt) part specified by Toro then they got the setup wrong and created the conditions for damaging your machine.

You then said, "My dealer's solution was to install "sheer pins".   He was not solving anything he was intalling the correct part.  He should have installed the correct screw-hh which is a shear pin or shear bolt. There should have been the correct pin in there from the start, a screw-hh specified by Toro. He should have replaced with the correct pin - screw-hh specified by Toro.

The part that's supposed to break is a pin. People call it a shear pin, shear bolt and some even call it a cotter pin. The screw-hh term Toro uses is as far as I know unique to Toro. Everyone else calls it a shear bolt or shear pin. They are all the same. Some bolt on. Others have a hole for a cotter pin to hold them on, whatever.

What did your dealer replace and who put it in there? What did he replace with? In both cases it should have been the shear bolt that Toro calles screw-hh. For a 10hp machine it's Toro part 322-12.
This message was modified Feb 27, 2008 by trouts2
mpkeon

Reply #2   Feb 28, 2008 7:12 am
thanks for the reply. went to the dealer and bought "sheer pins/ bolts" yesterday and installed it last night. I'm not sure exactly, due to time + faded memory, but I was fairly certain that the original "bolts" were not of the sheer type. anyway TY for the info. mike
pare_john

Reply #3   Feb 28, 2008 4:58 pm
you were not mistaken, the originals are bold not shear pins. this has been confirmed through Toro as well from the 5 Toro machines i have seen first hand. Although putting shear pins in will not hurt anything
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42