Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower size help

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
srgallan

Snowblower size help
Original Message   Feb 2, 2008 8:37 am
To all,

I am a bit confused as to what size of snowblower I should be purchasing to meet my needs.  I'll start with a small description of requirements, I have a double lane driveway about 30+ feet in length, so I can have 4 full sized cars in the paved driveway.

I am located in eastern Canada but the snow over the last 7 years has been much less than I have been accustomed too, today on Feb 2nd we are getting thunder and lightning which I never remember getting in all my life this time of year.  When we get snow it's usually around 20 centimeters and often it's the good old heavy wet snow.  My driveway makes it's own little valley type so actual depth of snow is probably around two feet on a given dump of snow.

I am not too concerned if I clear the driveway in 10 minutes or 45 minutes, I just don't want to throw out my back shoveling anymore.  People tell me I should get a 10HP but others say an 8HP would be fine, I rather not spend the extra money if I don't need to and from what I can understand the power is all relative to the bucket size on the blower anyways.  I had my eye on a 26 inch/8HP tecumseh blower made by MTD for a reasonable price of 899 with 4 year limited warranty.  I checked out Ariens as I know that's the typically better brand but they were approximately 1,950 and I don't know if I can justify that expenditure.

Any thoughts if the 8HP dual stage would be enough or should I wait to find a 10 hp?

Thanks.
This message was modified Feb 2, 2008 by a moderator
Replies: 19 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
wheelsca

Re: Snowblower size help
Reply #19   Feb 6, 2008 7:22 pm
Hay Denis I grew up in Montreal and we had a Viking single stage 5 horse blower from Eatons. It was a great machine.
I now have a Simplicity intermediate and I'm very happy with it.
Replies: 19 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42