Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow thrower cant get gas>>>>

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rte29

Snow thrower cant get gas>>>>
Original Message   Feb 3, 2008 2:09 pm

My 11 month old MTD 9.5 hp snow thrower will not get gas.  It wont prime gas into the carb, or get gas while running.  It will start with gas or starting fliud put in the spark plug hole, but will run only 5-10 seconds and die.  I removed the gas from the tank, sprayed through both hoses ( from fuel tank and primer) to clear, inserted new gas, but no luck, .  Any clues?

This message was modified Feb 3, 2008 by rte29
Replies: 8 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
rte29

Re: Snow thrower cant get gas>>>>
Reply #8   Feb 4, 2008 12:16 am
Thanks nipper99 and borat,  the float needle was sticky, I cleaned it and cleaned the seating area around it with a paper clip.  Now it primes up gas fine when pumped.

Put it back together and it fired up.  Thanks again fellas for the carburetor tips,........learned a lot.

nibbler

Bad Gas or Old Gas?
Reply #9   Feb 4, 2008 8:57 am
Sounds like either you got some bad gas with some crud in it or the tank was sitting partially full for some time without stabilizer.

Glad to hear its now working.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #10   Feb 4, 2008 8:43 pm
If it doesen't have a fuel shutoff you should really put one on. They only cost a few bucks and can save you a lot of aggravation.. You should shut the valve EACH TIME you use the machine before you put it away. That way if the float sticks or the needle and seat are damaged gas won't be able to keep flowing by gravity and spill out of the carb into your garage. Definitely a fire hazzard not to have a fuel shutoff!!!

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
jchard45

Reply #11   Feb 13, 2008 11:04 am
have the same problem, check to see if there's a gas filter in the line, mine has one (yard king model). This may be the first place to start.
Moderator admin

Reply #12   Feb 13, 2008 12:02 pm
Hey Guys-

I wanted to let you know that this thread saved me from buying a new leaf blower!  Thanks.  I was about a day away from taking the blower to the junk guy up the street so he could fix it and resell in his front yard. 

It was a daggone sticky float.

Thanks again.
Craig
Replies: 8 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42