Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Loss of power Ariens 524

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sdog

Loss of power Ariens 524
Original Message   Jan 2, 2008 8:53 am
I was snowblowing approx 12-14" of snow this am.  Half way through a snow bank, I experienced a sharp loss of power and the engine appeared to be revv'ed continueally.  (Similiar to a chainsaw with the idle set too high).  The throttle switch failed to produce any change in engine speed.  The augers worked fine and the wheels continued to be self propelled, but if any resistance was encountered the engine sounded as if it would stall out.  I was in a snow bank that was pushing over the top, although the speed was set low enough to not make the engine work too hard.  There is no smoke or sign of oil burning.  Any Ideas? 
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Gelid

Re: Loss of power Ariens 524
Reply #1   Jan 6, 2008 2:18 pm
Carb problem is very likely. first thing to do is see if it's adjusted properly - if it's adjustable, newer carbs usually aren't. Pay special attention to the idle screw, is it still in place? Sometimes engine vibration cause them to fall off or eject when spring loaded which usually results in high-rev idling. If adjusment doesn't solve the problem or if the carb is not adjustable (Welch plug instead of screw) you'll have to take it apart and check the float assembly, the float needle may have become unseated.   

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
lumbrjck

Re: Loss of power Ariens 524
Reply #2   Feb 9, 2008 9:01 pm
I agree with Gelid. But when you check the idle screw and jet screw make sure you have them set right. turn them all the way in and one and half turns out. see how it runs and make fine adjustments. also you might have to check the belts to see if there too loose
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42