Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD Snowthrower Wheel Lockup

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mtd4now

MTD Snowthrower Wheel Lockup
Original Message   Feb 26, 2007 8:45 am
HI Everyone,

1st post, so please bear with me.  I have a one year old MTD Pro 10 HP, 29" snowthrower.  After a couple of usages this winter the rear wheels locked up.  After tearing it apart, I noticed a 16/44 gear was rusted to the shaft.  I have removed it, and will be paying $50.00 for a new one that doesn't have rusty needle bearings in it.  But my question is, How often should I be greasing the shafts and gears in the transmission, what type of grease would you recommend, and how do you keep it from getting on the friction wheel which is a few inches from the transmission gears.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me ... 

Nick
Replies: 4 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
tdaloisio

Re: MTD Snowthrower Wheel Lockup
Reply #4   Jan 1, 2008 8:32 am
I am having this same issue.  Any advice on the best way to:

1. Unlock the wheels for use (expecting a snow storm tomorrow)
2. Solving the problem longer term?

Is this worth doing myself or bringing to a service center?  I've had my unit (purchased at Sam's Club) for 3 years.
Replies: 4 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42