Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > honda es6500 generator overvoltage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sp00ky

honda es6500 generator overvoltage
Original Message   Nov 1, 2005 2:30 am
I have a honda 6500 generator that puts out a normal 240 volts most of the time. Recently it will at times jump to 340 volts.  Is there anyone that can recommend the solution ? Thanks
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
pyro

Re: honda es6500 generator overvoltage
Reply #3   Dec 27, 2007 4:28 pm
If you are mechanically handy, remove the cover on the generator end. Inside on lower left is the automatic voltage regulator (AVR) which is a curved box-looking thing on K2 models, diamond shaped box on earlier models. An output overvoltage is caused by the AVR not throttling the generator field voltage properly. Look toward the top and you will see the brushes in their holder. With the generator running at normal speed (3600-3750rpm), you should be able to measure around 25Vdc with a voltmeter at the connector to the brushes. Any more (and I bet there is), and the AVR is bad.  I had the same problem and I ended up buying a replacement AVR from Plano Power Equipment for just under  $300.00.  Do an internet search to find them.

- Mark
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #4   Dec 27, 2007 8:07 pm
This WAS a 2 year old topic......??

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
larryccf1

Reply #5   Aug 10, 2008 10:12 pm
curious - i just learned about the ES6500 generator by accident - i have the same 2 cyl engine in a honda garden tractor and it's in relatively new condition (engine and tractor) and was thinking this engine is an ideal candidate for a generator application because of the water cooled factor and how quiet it is as well as the longevity factor to the engine because of lower operating temps

any suggestions for a generator besides the chinese sourced units northern tool sells?

any suggestions appreciated
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42