Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD bearing removal from worm gear...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
groveshome

MTD bearing removal from worm gear...
Original Message   Dec 17, 2007 7:40 pm
I hope somebody can help and prevent a trip to the repair shop.   I have an older model (can't find any model/serial number plate) MTD snowblower that is an 8 horsepower/26 inch gold series with 6 forward gears and 2 reverse.  Thats all I know about it.  I believe that the worm gear has been stripped inside the transmission (at least thats what I am calling it) because I can see the impeller turning but the auger does not turn.  I am in the process of removing the auger assembly and have removed the entire housing from the engine, removed the two pulleys along with the spring that was attached.  I know have the entire front end (auger, worm gear, housing off of the machine and took the bearing housing (that was held with three nuts onto posts) off.  Here is my problem.  I know that the bearing needs to come off so the worm gear can be removed from the housing but I am unsure as to how.  I have put the bolt back in to the end of the worm gear (where the pulleys were) and hit several times with the hammer (okay, I really beat it good) but nothing moved.  Upon closer inspection of the shaft/bearing, looking down from the top of the worm gear, there are splines in the shaft, then if appears like a really fat washer/nut (not really but just using that word to describe) that is thinner on one side as opposed to the other, then the bearing.  This bearing must be removed before I can remove this and get at the transmission to see what damage has been done.  Does anybody know how to remove this bearing.....   Sorry for this post to be so long but just wanted to give as much information as possible....  TIA   groveshome
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
rayman

Re: MTD bearing removal from worm gear...
Reply #1   Dec 20, 2007 9:03 pm
Hi,

I removed the auger from my MTD 8 hp (bought in 1999) a couple of years ago. I don't recall everything, but I do know that you have to loosen the 2 housings at either end of the auger (where the auger hits the housing on each side). I believed that there are 3 bolts on each side. As I recall, once you remove the bolts from each of them, the entire auger shaft should slide out of the housing, since you already removed the bolt which holds it on the belt side. The bearing which is in the housing where it goes through to the pulleys can be left in place. On mine, the bearing was going bad, so I replaced it. I had to use a small puller to get it out.

I am assuming that you already checked the shear pin bolts on the augers. There is one on each side, in the middle of the auger. If the auger hits a rock or something, they are designed to break (or shear) off. If that happens, then the impeller will turn, but the auger on that side will not turn.
trouts2

Reply #2   Jan 20, 2008 12:09 pm
I'm in the final stage of removing the auger assembly. I've got the side support berings off, the auger drive pullys removed, the friction disk swung up out of the way, the inside plate holding the auger shaft removed.
The auger and impeller are loose but the auger assembly is still held to the case by the auger bearing which supports the back end of the auger drive worm.
The bearing is not going through it's mount hole so I can't remove the auger assembly. How do I get that bearing off. I don't think there is enough room to get a puller in there which I don't have anyway. Shold it slide through that hole so the whole assembly can be removed through the intake housing?
The rig is an MTD Yardman, 315E640F088 SR 1214B60162, Style TMO 352 401
trouts2

Reply #3   Jan 21, 2008 10:46 am
To answer my own question, the resolve was to bang out the end of the auger drive which finally let go and seperated from the bearing. At the same time the bearing which would not move dropped out. ??
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42