Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Entry level snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
keano

Entry level snowblower
Original Message   Dec 15, 2007 2:10 pm
Hi  I live in New England and I have decided to buy a snowblower. I am thinking that an entry level one might work. Any suggestions between the lowes, home depot or sears brands:

Areins ST520EC, troy built 31AH63N2711, or craftsman 31AS6BCE799

All of these are a 5.5 hp double stage snowblowers for around $600. What is the value to go for the
 more expensive units like the Areins ST624E 6 hp or few that are 7.5 hp for about $750

Thanks,
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Gelid

Re: Entry level snowblower
Reply #1   Dec 15, 2007 2:47 pm
The value depends on snow conditions, area to clear (size and configuration), how many times on average you need to clear snow for any given year, and how much time you're willing to spend doing the job. If you clear snow less than say, 10 times a year and you have "standard" driveway/walkway then an entry level 2-stage model should do fine, even if the snow is heavy. Of the three models you mention I would choose either the Ariens or Craftsman, would decide after seeing them first because there are rumors of  Ariens downgrading some models for mass-market stores. Craftsman are relabeled versions of other makes but afaik usually pretty reliable albeit a little basic. Troys are, err..., well, they have a dubious reputation but I honestly don't know the reason(s) because I have never operated one or known anyone who had. I live in a very snowy area and most folks who own snowblowers around here (a lot of people) tend to like the big boys Honda, Ariens Pro et al. Never seen a Troy up here but 30+ year-old Ariens, Toro, Craftsman, etc. are pretty common.        

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #2   Dec 15, 2007 3:17 pm
ariens is very good,i dont know anything about troy built,and if you want to actually use your machine instead of wondering when sears is going to repair it,i wouldnt get one of them,craftsman brand is junk.my brother had one,i did his driveway every snowfall,his blower was a p.o.s.hope this helps

Gelid

Reply #3   Dec 15, 2007 3:26 pm
donjag wrote:
ariens is very good,i dont know anything about troy built,and if you want to actually use your machine instead of wondering when sears is going to repair it,i wouldnt get one of them,craftsman brand is junk.my brother had one,i did his driveway every snowfall,his blower was a p.o.s.hope this helps

With Craftsman I think that depends on original model, and luck.

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42