Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which 2-Stage Snow Thrower – Troy-Bilt, Toro, Ariens or Simplicity?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
markbean

Original Message   Nov 24, 2007 4:05 pm

I’m in my first single family home and I need to purchase a snow thrower.  My driveway is paved asphalt, 180’ feet long and one-car wide up until the 3-car garage.  I live in central New Jersey and we get 25-30” of snow a year.  I’ve decided that I want at least 26” but I like 28”.  I prefer to purchase from a local shop rather than a Lowe’s, HD or Sears.

Is the $899 on a Troy-Bilt Storm 9528 a good choice?  At $899 it is certainly the price I want to pay but I am skeptical that I will get what I pay for.  Even though they are more than I had wanted to spend, I’m considering the $1099 Toro 826LE, the $1199 Ariens ST1027LE, the $1249 Simplicity L9528E.  If convinced that it is really worth it, I may also consider the $1399 Toro 828LXE.  The Honda's are simply just too much money for me.

Am I really just comparing great machines that will all do a wonderful job or are there really some noticeable differences between them in terms of quality and features?  Am I really going to notice the difference between the 26”, 27” and 28” path widths?

Thank you,
Mark

Replies: 12 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
markbean

Reply #12   Dec 13, 2007 5:03 pm
I finally used my Simplicity 1428.  While the conditions were not perfect for the thrower, I just had to use it.   In Princeton, NJ we had a lot of freezing rain today.  My driveway was covered with about and inch of slush.  It would have been a bear to clear it by shovel so while the conditions were not great, I took the new Snow thrower out to help with the job.  The 1428 handled the job well.  It threw the slush far enough to go over the driveway.  The biggest thing I learned is that I have to practice using the thrower to better handle it.  Regardless, it was fun to get it out of the garage and use it.
iulavey1

Reply #13   Dec 14, 2007 11:08 pm
markbean-

It is good to see someone else has one of these odd-model numbered Simplicity snowblowers.  I went one size smaller with the L1226E (which is the L8526E that is on the Simplicity website) and was trying to figure out if this was an old model or a new one.  I had a very hard time finding mention of the 1226 anywhere on the web.  From what you have said, it appears to be the newer labelling and is marked according to the engine's torque rating.

It was just delivered today and I am anxiously awaiting our next snowfall here in Wisconsin.  It is good to hear yours performed well when using it for the first time.

Andrew.

DonMac

Reply #14   Dec 15, 2007 12:04 am
markbean,
I live a couple of miles from you and just bought a new Simplicity P10524E from a dealer in Princeton. I can't wait to try it but the amount we got just didn't warrant me firing up. If I can drive through it and there's no EOD mound, then I let it melt. We only got about an inch or less. But my wife cleared the sidewalk with a shovel! It all melted today. Oh well, maybe Saturday night we'll get a chance to really test them. But the forecast doesn't look like anything more than what we got Thursday.
Replies: 12 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42