Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 8 hp throttle/governor problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
editfred

Ariens 8 hp throttle/governor problem
Original Message   Dec 12, 2007 4:20 pm
I have a pretty old Ariens 924 that I'm trying to keep running. I'm fed up paying the local repair shop to keep it running, so I'm trying to get it working myself. The latest problem is that the throttle doesn't move because the governor linkage is keeping it frozen in place. When the engine is shut off, the governor shaft moves properly, but once the engine is running, it takes so much force to push it that the throttle doesn't move. I'm new to small engine repair, but if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone can recommend a good manual for servicing this thing, please let me know. I have a Haynes manual, which is pretty useless.

Thanks in advance.
Replies: 3 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
editfred

Re: Ariens 8 hp throttle/governor problem
Reply #3   Dec 13, 2007 9:40 am
Yes, it's a Tecumseh engine. It sounds like it's revving too high, although when I disconnect the governor linkage and push the throttle by hand to increase the revs, sparks and soot start flying out of the exhaust, so I'm not sure where I am with revs. The throttle cable moves fine, as does the throttle plate when the engine is off. WHen the engine is on,  the throttle pushes against the governor linkage, but doesn't move it. I'll try to describe the governor attachment--there's a clamp that holds a bracket onto a shaft that goes into the crankcase. That bracket moves back and forth when the engine is off, but is difficult to move when the engine is running. Then, there's an arm attached to the bracket with two holes where the linkage connects to the throttle. That arm is held onto the bracket (attached to the shaft) by a screw. The screw is tight, so the arm does not swivel in relation to the crankcase shaft bracket. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be loose or tight--although there doesn't seem to be any way to leave it loose without the screw and nut being shaken loose. I hope that clear.
bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #4   Dec 13, 2007 4:14 pm
Try and go to
http://www.cdponline.com/692509.pdf
There should be a manual for 3-11 h.p. L head Tecumseh engines!

T.J. hope this helps,

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
niper99

Reply #5   Dec 13, 2007 5:37 pm
yes the arm should be tight to the governor rod, if its reving too high then you can adjust how much tension is on the governor  by if look by where your throtle cable is athached there should be a spring on lever with a screw in it and that should give you some adjustments sometimes the spring has to much tension and adjusting wont work if so take spring off and pull it apart little bit that should work.

as for little sparks coming out of the exhust its pretty normal for an older machince, mufflers have flash back arresters in them but yours sounds like its rusted out, nothing to worry about wont hurt the engine if it bugs you put a new muffler on

Leinad

Reply #6   Oct 28, 2008 8:27 pm
Do you still have this Snow Blower? I need a picture of the throttle spring linkage :-) I cleaned the carburator but forgot were to put the spring!!! lol
Thanks!
Replies: 3 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42