Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 926LE w/Tecumseh LH318SA 9.25 HP Hard to cold start

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DJ_Bjorklund

Ariens 926LE w/Tecumseh LH318SA 9.25 HP Hard to cold start
Original Message   Dec 2, 2007 11:14 am
Hello all.  I'm new here.  Anyway, I'm at my wit's end with this cold starting this machine.  I have this engine on a one year old Ariens 926LE.  This thing is and always has been such a challenge to cold start.  Basically, prime and pull, prime and pull, and I coax it along getting it to (putt-putt) go, I have to leave it at full choke and at the starting throttle position for 5 to 10 minutes.  Then I can gradually sneak away from full choke and feather the throttle (usually with a few kills while I do that) up to full and go.  Then, she runs fine until the job's done.  Gentlemen, if there's a way out I need it as this is not my favorite way to start particularly, a weekday.  Dealer tells me, "Yeah, all that pollution stuff,...they're all hard to start".  Is he blowin' smoke...?  Thanks
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Talldog

Re: Ariens 926LE w/Tecumseh LH318SA 9.25 HP Hard to cold start
Reply #1   Dec 2, 2007 12:05 pm
Go for the easy stuff first.  Make sure the choke is fully closed, actually look to make sure the little butterfly is closed. Sometimes the linkage slips and you think it's on full choke, but it's still open slightly.  Also, is the gas fresh?  Is the spark plug in good shape? Try this starting routine when its cold,

1.Full Choke

2.Prime 3 times

3.Start

If none of this helps, try using synthetic oil and replacing the plug with a premium "hotter spark" plug.

Still no go?  Find a different dealer. You should not be having these problems with a machine that's only a year old.

Snowmann

Reply #2   Dec 2, 2007 1:24 pm
DJ_Bjorklund wrote:
Hello all.  I'm new here.  Anyway, I'm at my wit's end with this cold starting this machine.  I have this engine on a one year old Ariens 926LE.  This thing is and always has been such a challenge to cold start.  Basically, prime and pull, prime and pull, and I coax it along getting it to (putt-putt) go, I have to leave it at full choke and at the starting throttle position for 5 to 10 minutes.  Then I can gradually sneak away from full choke and feather the throttle (usually with a few kills while I do that) up to full and go.  Then, she runs fine until the job's done.  Gentlemen, if there's a way out I need it as this is not my favorite way to start particularly, a weekday.  Dealer tells me, "Yeah, all that pollution stuff,...they're all hard to start".  Is he blowin' smoke...?  Thanks

I have the same model. The first start of the year for me is abysmal as well. Standard procedures never works. What I did today for the first start is to remove the plug, clean it off and shoot just a bit of ether (starting fluid) in the spark plug hole (not too much or you'll be prying your cylinder head off from your ceiling). Started right up...
Snowmann

Reply #3   Dec 2, 2007 1:26 pm
Hmmm. But after reading your posting again it seems you have this hard start every time...? Not the same as me. Mine is only the first start of the year. And you should be able to take it off choke after 20 seconds or so...??? It's still under warranty. I'd take it to another dealer for repair. They are not that hard to start and there are very few pollution measures on these engines due to winter product exemptions from CARB, EPA, and EU. It might be jetted leaner than ideal, but that's it. No excuse....

PK
This message was modified Dec 2, 2007 by Snowmann
DJ_Bjorklund

Reply #4   Dec 3, 2007 7:56 pm
Took it in and said "fix it" like I should have last year.  They did.  Seems the choke was screwed up.  The price of being a small engine idiot boys (that'd be me)
But hey, I'm fearlessly ready for that 3 to 4" scheduled for southern MN tomorrow night!
Thanks everyone.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42