Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Bolens 8 26

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Stroth

Bolens 8 26
Original Message   Nov 18, 2007 8:00 pm
This is my first post here, but I have spent some time searching the archives and man is there some good info. here.  THANKS

I just bought a used snowblower for my driveway (my back just cannot handle shoveling anymore).

It is a Bolens 8 26 with a serial # of:  0201208.

The guy that i bought it from had two others (toro), but the bolens just appealed to me, and it was cheaper than the others.  250 bucks.

I have tried to find some info out online, but I have not had any real luck.

Can anyone out there give me some more info. on this machine? 

It is a mustard yellow color, with 4 forward speeds and reverse.  It has a nut on the right wheel unlocks the differential, to make turning easier.  (Which I thought was pretty cool on the toros this feature was much more difficult to engage). 

How old is it?  I am guessing late 70's?

The guy told me it was a techumsa engine, but is anyone else out there sure of this?  It started up on the first pull and ran well.  Numbers off of the motor are:

HM80 155022D 7125D

I do not believe these are the MTD versions bolen sold later.  I have been advised to stay away from MTD.

Are parts still out there for this machine?  Did I pay a fair price?  Any tips on maintenance that I should follow through the winter?

Any info anyone has on this machine is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stroth

Replies: 4 - 13 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
skadoo4u

Re: Bolens 8 26
Reply #4   Nov 24, 2007 2:37 pm
try to borrow a users manual from a neighbour with an older machine ....most blowers are very similar to each other.     remove your chute cover and lower plate assembly and start playing with the controls...you will see how everything operates....
Shadowz425

Reply #5   Dec 1, 2007 6:51 pm
Hey Stroth-

I too just purchased a Bolens (used).  It is a yellow color as well.  It is a solid steel machine.  The welding on this machine is amazing...there are no spot welds at all.  It starts on the first try and has electric start (although there is no need to use it).  My model # is Bolens 625.  I just ordered the users manual from e-bay.  It was $4 online.  Take a look on e-bay and you might be able to find the manual as well.

Stroth

Replacing Start Cord?
Reply #6   Dec 12, 2007 11:24 am
I am having some issues with the start cord on my machine.  Initially, the knot was too small and it slipped out.  I tried to replace it with a different cord, but something is now up.  In order to get to the cord, you have to take out a bolt bracket, spring, and washer.  Those pieces fit between two cog like legs.  Now, when I try to put the thing back together, the cord is not functioning properly, the bolt keeps coming apart and all of the parts I listed above just come undone.

Anyone have any tips on how to put this cord back together properly?

I would really appreciate it.

matt

donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #7   Dec 12, 2007 8:24 pm
if you have alot of patience,the spring has to be wound up and put in ever so carefully,i on the other hand have zero patience,so i take them to the hardware store and for10 bucks,they do it for me.i now have almost 50 recoils here so it is getting cheaper for me,ha ha,anyway,i hope this helps,its real tricky,just have patience.

Stroth

Reply #8   Dec 13, 2007 7:43 am
So, I need to wind the spring completely and then put it in?

What holds the tension on the spring?

Do I need to keep the tension with my hands and then bolt the pieces back together?  That is going to be tough. 

Man nothing is ever easy.  I must have some horrific small engine karma, every small engine equipment piece I have has issues.......

Matt
Stroth

Reply #9   Dec 13, 2007 4:03 pm
SUCESS

Guy I bought it from gave me a rplacement recoil setup and this one is minus the huge stupid bolens handle.  Turns, out you have to turn the whole thing counterclockwise until it is tight, clamp it and then attach the rope.  There are two little cogs that have springs, that allow it to recoil back.  The springs on mine were shot.

Well problem solved!!!

I also just blasted through six inches of snow in my driveway in under 45 min. with this beast!  If I had shoveled it woudl've taken me 2 hours!!!

More snow on the way up here, so I will give it anohter test later.

Stroth

donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #10   Dec 13, 2007 5:18 pm
start collecting recoils,it might make the wife wonder why,but you'll be the man next time one goes to cravo,bravo,happy throwing.

Stroth

Reply #11   Dec 13, 2007 5:23 pm
Where is the best place to find used recoils?  Ebay?

Is there another site that sells used motor equip?

THANKS

Stroth
donjag

Reply #12   Dec 13, 2007 5:38 pm
i dont know how it is in your town,i go to the city garage and look in there scrap metal pile,also on garbage days i pick up lawn mowers and snoblowers,you would not believe what people throw away,not sure about ebay.

Stroth

Reply #13   Dec 15, 2007 11:19 pm
Nice looking machine!

I have already started looking for other recoils.

Shadowz425

Can you give me the name of the seller you bought the manual from on ebay.  I have been looking but I cannot find anything.

Can you private message on this board?

THANKS!

Replies: 4 - 13 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42